Problems with 9 yr old daughters T1

My daughter was diagnosed as type 1 Feb '16. In January we started running high and did for 36 days straight. I had her admitted to stabilise beginning of last month and started carb counting and have been running low. With in a week of discharge she started having unconscious episodes one of which was over night and resulted in quite a significant seizure, since then we have been in and out of hospital with hypoglycaemic episodes where she goes unconscious and ive had to call an ambulance , we've no idea why. She is incredibly active which has quite an effect on her blood sugars. She has had lots of tests which have all come back normal. Her doses have been cut right down and we have been running a little higher. Her doctor pulled me to one side on Friday and actually accused her of self administration of extra insulin because they can't find a cause she is 9 and is hardly ever alone and rarely at home . I can honestly say hand on heart she hasn't. We go to clinic today get home and she has dropped from 16 to 3.3 and we have no explanation as to why. There must be someone out there that has had a similar problem before. I'm desperate for answers. The only one I've had is that's she is doing it to her self . Please help I'm at my witts end.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @sarah_millard_ :)

Sorry your daughter is having such awful,hypos. All I can think is that maybe her own pancreas is contributing some of its own insulin and making her low (this can happen after a person starts insulin injections as it rests their remaining beta cells), or her insulin doses need adjusting again, perhaps because she's very active.

What insulins does she take? Are you adjusting her meal time insulin according to what she eats? Do ou adjust her insulin for exercise?

I know she's only 9 but could it be the approach of puberty making things more erratic?

Insulin needs can change pretty often.

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello - this is exactly the problem we have. My daughter went to bed at 22.3 last night and woke up at 10pm hypoing at 1.8 - she also had a fit the other night as she was so low. They have checked the pens,insulin - they cant explain it except a long honeymoon. Shes 10 and has been a diabetic nealy 2 yrs. She has 0.5 units of levemir a day and 0.5 ofnovorapid once a day. We.re looking at pumps that suspend and alarm and cgm at moment...so i wish i had answer but i dont. Good luck.

Reactions: sandra curtis

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had and 50 years on still have this problem, when i was younger levels would drop very fast resulting in unconsciousness and hospital admissions and told that i may be producing my own insulin, it still happens only the other day I dropped from 6.8 to 2.7 in 30 minutes, i try and keep to the same diet (boring i know) and can be fine for days and then I'll have a day when it just drops for no reason, maybe i have a lazy immune system that takes a day off occasionally lol.