processed meats

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My personal preference is to keep processed meats to a minimum - any colour, any meat, especially those low quality ones which are basically mushed up shreds of gloop stuck together with chemicals. Luncheon meat. Cheap frankfurters. Cheap chicken and pork where the slices are a uniform pink or white. That kind of thing.

But I don't include good quality products in that. Some ham, chicken and chorizo are excellent quality (usually reflected in the price), and while I might not eat chorizo every day, I don't have a problem enjoying it occasionally.

The name LCHF refers to the low carb, and the high fat parts, and doesn't mention protein at all, so we can follow LCHF and be vegan, or eat whatever kind of meat we prefer, and still keep to the spirit of the LC and the HFness. :)

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've started to watch my salt intake BC of blood pressure problems and find that processed meats are incredibly salty. Many are also implicated in cancer studies where they contain nitrates etc. Think like most things moderation is the way to go.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I like bacon but I defrost it in hot water - separating the rashers and leaving it to simmer for a minute or so. It takes out the salt, and it must remove the soluble preservatives too, the nitrates and nitrites. I sieve it out, pouring the water down the sink and then tip it back into the pan and cook as usual.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat some processed deli turkey and chicken slices for convenience. Ingredients are organic turkey/ chicken and sea salt. I rinse under water before eating. At least there's no hormones antibiotics or steroids. And no gmo feed. Could be worse

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree with @Brunneria - go with good quality products.

Check out both the nutritional content (for possible added sugars) and the ingredients for this and other possible nasties, then use this information to help with decision making. Online supermarkets e.g. Tesco will generally include all this information with the product so you can check in comfort before you go out to buy.

Robbity

FCUMUFC

Hi all, just to add my own question in this area if the OP doesn't mind! We've been following LCHF for a short while after a T2 diagnosis, we like salad with cold meat, cheese, egg and mayo for lunch. I was quite shocked upon examining the labels on packs of cold meat from the supermarkets to find they all contain sugar of some sort, despite being very low carb. Including some expensive stuff! Does anyone have any advice please on whether the levels we are talking about are so small that they won't do any/much harm, or should we avoid completely in favour of more eggs and cheese for example? Or any alternative ideas that are LCHF friendly...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, just to add my own question in this area if the OP doesn't mind! We've been following LCHF for a short while after a T2 diagnosis, we like salad with cold meat, cheese, egg and mayo for lunch. I was quite shocked upon examining the labels on packs of cold meat from the supermarkets to find they all contain sugar of some sort, despite being very low carb. Including some expensive stuff! Does anyone have any advice please on whether the levels we are talking about are so small that they won't do any/much harm, or should we avoid completely in favour of more eggs and cheese for example? Or any alternative ideas that are LCHF friendly...
Sometimes you have to go to more of a health food store rather than the everyday run of the mill. I have to buy mine at more organic type stores. I could never find a suitable one at my everyday shops.
I think mine are pretty clean being just organic meat ( chicken turkey beef) and sea salt. Not loaded either. Then I rinse as well. Not sure why I do that as I always add salt to my meal. Silly me

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A little sweetness goes with a lot of pork dishes, think gammon and pineapple or honey glazed ham so not surprising if a little sugar is used as flavouring. You would have to calculate the amount of carbohydrate in your portion to know if it was significant in your low carb diet. The chorizo I have says 2.3 grams carbs per 100 grams but that is 2/3 of the pack so not really a problem for me. If you are new to this, then note that it is the total carbs that are relevant not just the sugar content.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
is ham, chicken, chorizo ok on LCHF diet or not? bit confused

They are OK, anything other than pure carbs (sugar, fruit juice, bread, rice, pastor, potatoes) is OK. Less processing any food has had the better, however removing the carbs from your diet gives the most benefits.

Don't think about replacing "OK" with "better", or "best" until you have avoiding most carbs down to a fine art.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Better is always better.

I stay away from ham. Seems so processed and cured. Once on top of a salad with mayo who can tell??

The only thing I really like about ham is the salt but even for me it's too salty.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I prefer to have cold meat I cooked myself rather than a packaged sweetened product - or anything 'breaded' - it isn't part of my tradition, other than 'proper' mincemeat at Christmas.
I have had some odd looks when I peel off coatings which others eat - but it is something I've always done.