Prof Roy Taylor's work on reversing type 2 diabetes

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I've been reading up about Roy Taylor's work on the mechanisms that cause diabetes and how it can be reversed by diet (eg Newcastle diet). I stumbled across a video of an interview with him where I think he said the results of the big study that is ongoing are to be published 'in a few months time'. Anyway I can't find the video again to check when it was actually recorded.

Does anyone know when the results of this study are due and if there are any interim findings available yet ? I believe there have been 300 patients on the Newcastle diet with at least a year follow up. I'm very interested to see the conclusions of this work.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was pretty sure 2018 and no, I cannot find any evidence of interim results.
However, if I am not mistaken there does seem to be more information on the site - not about the study but on things like meal plans and diet advice. My guess is things must be going ok for them to be adding content.

Also - one of the key things is people talk a lot about 8 weeks where I note the second experiment talks about 8 weeks - 20 weeks of a low calorie diet.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, Pipp, can I ask - because I've seen it often mentioned here and there and I'm really curious - what is your experience with the Newcastle Diet? How did you get involved, when, all that jazz. To quote your sig:

T2 since 2005. Non-diabetic BG levels since September 2011. Newcastle diet brought BG control through rapid weight loss. Low carb with sufficient full fat food now maintains BG levels.
I fully support Newcastle diet with medical support and supervision. Newcastle diet is not the end though. Not a quick fix. Changed eating habits for life.

If you wouldn't mind and have the time, you've got at least one eager reader here: and then, see, I'll have a clearer estimation of your abilities, too! ;)

Reactions: ziggy_w

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @SockFiddler and @Pipp. Don't know how I found this interview with Prof Taylor, but it was a shortish video on Youtube. I got quite excited when he said something along the lines of the results will be published in a few months and it could be a game changer !! Then I got interrupted and now I can't find it again.

Reactions: Freema and ziggy_w

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, Pipp, can I ask - because I've seen it often mentioned here and there and I'm really curious - what is your experience with the Newcastle Diet? How did you get involved, when, all that jazz. To quote your sig:

If you wouldn't mind and have the time, you've got at least one eager reader here: and then, see, I'll have a clearer estimation of your abilities, too! ;)
@SockFiddler , it took a while, but I found the thread I started sometime ago. It is here.
Five years after Newcastle diet
Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by Pipp, Jun 13, 2016.

Now you have shamed me, I will have to consider updating it.
:D

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just found the video. It's on YouTube called 'prof Roy Taylor - freedom from diabetes'. It's an interview by Gary Williams dated 3rd august 2017. Prof Taylor says results of the direct study will be presented in December at an international diabetes conference. He actually mentions the words 'game set and match' referring to changing the existing mindset about the disease !!

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found the video. It's on YouTube called 'prof Roy Taylor - freedom from diabetes'. It's an interview by Gary Williams dated 3rd august 2017. Prof Taylor says results of the direct study will be presented in December at an international diabetes conference. He actually mentions the words 'game set and match' referring to changing the existing mindset about the disease !!

Goodness me that is some Rhetoric.
Hopefully that means every hospital treating Diabetes will get a liver and pancreas scanner with all the money they save on drugs. Cannot wait to see big pharma's response.
Could you post the video link please?

Reactions: OrsonKartt and Pipp

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not sure how to post link to Youtube video but will give it a try now.

B

badcat

Goodness me that is some Rhetoric.
Hopefully that means every hospital treating Diabetes will get a liver and pancreas scanner with all the money they save on drugs. Cannot wait to see big pharma's response.
Could you post the video link please?
Call me cynical, but im pretty sure that big pharma will initially try to rubbish the findings, before coming up with a miracle drug that promises that it can either a) achieve exactly the same results with no effort or b) " protect" people from the return of diabetes when / if they relax theit diets

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I saw on Youtube he say he had a lot at a top medical conference at the end of this year and that they have not yet completed doing all the stats. He would not have got that slot without something big to say.....

But it will take a few years to know if the results continue long term after the diet.

Real shame he has not done research on LCHF etc as he is the one person that uk GPs may listen to.

The big pharma will still make lots of money from Type2 as most people will not believe it can be reversed, or have the motivation to do so.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OOooh. I'd have guessed it would be further in the future, for the 5-year piece.

I'll only have been diagnosed 4 years in October and the DUK sponsored study started some time after that, but one things is sure; those words seem to be from the horses mouth.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
He has proved what we all know, that Type2 can be controlled and reversed and that we don't all have to put up with a life of every increasing drug usage. But he has done it with enough expensive equipment that doctors may start to believe it.

lindisfel

Expert
Did I read somewhere there is a sort of retirement age limit for those following the official Newcastle diet? Derek

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think the age result was just to make his study produce data that is easier to understand. There is nothing spatial about his diet as far as he knows, he thinks it is just losing a lot of weight that is key and that should work regardless of age.

Tannith

BANNED
I've been reading up about Roy Taylor's work on the mechanisms that cause diabetes and how it can be reversed by diet (eg Newcastle diet). I stumbled across a video of an interview with him where I think he said the results of the big study that is ongoing are to be published 'in a few months time'. Anyway I can't find the video again to check when it was actually recorded.

Does anyone know when the results of this study are due and if there are any interim findings available yet ? I believe there have been 300 patients on the Newcastle diet with at least a year follow up. I'm very interested to see the conclusions of this work.