Protein dosing

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I seem to going a bit low with my protein dosing. I'm going hypo at about 2.7 mmol/L. I'm fine at 3.0 - 3.1. I think the dose level is ok, I'm doing about one third of the protein grams as equivalent to carb grams, so for example for 18 gpr I dose as if for 6 gch. I think that's working out. But I think I need to spread the dose more. I'm currently bolusing protein on my pump over a 1 hr period (on the Animas pump this is called a "combo"). I probably need to spread the dose delivery over at least 2 hrs. I am going to switch to that.

Ketones seem to have stabilised at around 4 mmol/L which is fine. They were heading up to 8 mmol/L and that was making me uncomfortable.

Still keeping an eye out for whether I might have to reduce my basal rate even further, and for if I may have to increase my 'protein ratio' up from one third. What I really need to do is think of more creative ways of incorporating more fat into my diet and stop relying on protein. Protein is risky for a low carb diabetic because ultimately, the more I rely on it, the more it's going to just get turned into carbs. So, I must Think Fat! Fat is good. Fat is my friend.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're welcome the other plus in looking up fat bombs, is that the sites that mention them are hard core LCHF keto and will give to more diet info

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I scramble eggs in fat instead of cream, could be bacon fat, butter of what ever I have at hand.

Celeriac mash made from boiled celeriac and butter/duck fat/whatever and salt and pepper.

Mix in some creme fraiche in the salad dressing to make it stick better

Finely grated parmesan also helps the dressing stick to the salad better.

Generous helpings of fat in the stews I make. Tonight I plan a kind of fish curry with coconut milk, coconut oil, half a red bell pepper, chilli and what I fancy when I get down to cooking. Lots of coconut oil!

About five years ago we had a wwoofer from southern France who taught me the proper amount of olive oil to use in salad dressing: a lot. A dash of vinegar, lots of crushed garlic and finely chopped parsley salt, black pepper and 100 ml or more of oil.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I will do all of the above to get more fats. Plus in addition I will also opt for the fattiest pieces of the meat. And roasted pork belly has now become my true friend! Family and friends will look at me with very doubtful glances when I am asking for more butter - they think I am heading straight towards a heart attack. The long-ingrained fat scare is still rampant and old habits/beliefs die hard.

As an added benefit, my cholesterols/lipid numbers went from much-too-high to numbers-to-dream-about after I started doing low carb/high fat.

And as an aside, we would all look aghast at my grandmother when she would pick out the fattiest pieces of the Sunday roast. But wonder of wonders, she lived on to 105 with her mental facilities intact though a little feeble at the end.

annelise

Reactions: 8 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will do all of the above to get more fats. Plus in addition I will also opt for the fattiest pieces of the meat. And roasted pork belly has now become my true friend! Family and friends will look at me with very doubtful glances when I am asking for more butter - they think I am heading straight towards a heart attack. The long-ingrained fat scare is still rampant and old habits/beliefs die hard.

As an added benefit, my cholesterols/lipid numbers went from much-too-high to numbers-to-dream-about after I started doing low carb/high fat.

And as an aside, we would all look aghast at my grandmother when she would pick out the fattiest pieces of the Sunday roast. But wonder of wonders, she lived on to 105 with her mental facilities intact though a little feeble at the end.

annelise
I go through every packet of smoked belly pork in the shop to find the fattest one!

Fat mutton, favourite!

And duck, of course.