PUMP CONTROL

daviedoo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi
I have had type 1 diabetes for 33 yrs. and has been controlled within reason but still had highs and lows, I was asked to think about going on a pump which I did so I could get better control, I started in June 2017 and had it slightly controlled but still many highs and the odd lows with some averages, I seem to get a little control and then something happens i.e. during night my cannula will break or I will eat later than usual and my sugars will go out of control, The last 2 months they have been constantly high but due to work commitments I don't eat at regular times and unable to visit the drop ins. I have decided from today 06/04 not eat any carbs for a couple of days and monitor my basil to get this correct, Am I doing the right thing

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the beauty of the pump is the basal so yes......doing a full test of the basal over a 24 hour period is the best and first course of action for any pumper...

blood sugar response to meals and insulin doses, all be it made easier with the pump, still requires some thinking by the user....

is the dose right?

is the timing right?

insulin/carb ratio right etc....

even with MDI you can eat when you like or not if you chose too and you should still be able to achieve BG in target...;)

Reactions: daviedoo1
D

Deleted Account

Sounds like a good approach. Basal testing should give you the information you need to tweak your basal settings on your pump.
The only thing I would add is that protein can affect BG if you are consuming little or no carbs.
I think this may be why it is common to split basal testing over a few days and fast for 8 hours at a time rather than cut out carbs for a couple of days.

BTW I sometimes love the little autocorrects that happen. I have a picture of you testing the BG of a pot of pesto as you do your basil testing :)

Reactions: daviedoo1

daviedoo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thankyou so much for your advice. i try so hard and never seem to get my readings where i want them but i will keep going.

daviedoo1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
the beauty of the pump is the basal so yes......doing a full test of the basal over a 24 hour period is the best and first course of action for any pumper...

blood sugar response to meals and insulin doses, all be it made easier with the pump, still requires some thinking by the user....

is the dose right?

is the timing right?

insulin/carb ratio right etc....

even with MDI you can eat when you like or not if you chose too and you should still be able to achieve BG in target...;)
Thank you for your help. I get worried about doing different things as i work full time and take no time off to look after my diabetes or talk to anyone

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your help. I get worried about doing different things as i work full time and take no time off to look after my diabetes or talk to anyone
It's all about taking the time to get the basal right....and then it's alot easier to fit the bolus testing in to normal day to day activities....

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have decided from today 06/04 not eat any carbs for a couple of days and monitor my basil to get this correct, Am I doing the right thing

Basal testing is probably a good start. But doing it by not eating any carbs for a few days probably won't get you very accurate results.

Basal testing needs complete fasting - protein can raise blood sugars in the absence of carbs - for defined sections of the day as prolonged fasting can cause liver dumps.

Here's a good guide on how to basal test - https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

Reactions: novorapidboi26