Pump trial

MWilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Evening all.

My Consultant has just referred me back to the Pump DSN for a trial with saline. However it appears odd as I have not yet been through any form of funding questions or process.

Is this the norm?

Has anyone had this kind of experience?

Thanks

M

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @MWilson It really depends on what was put to your consultant in the first place if this justified the purchase for the pump then that would of been it, no need for process.

eabhamurphy

I went in on a Wednesday and at that consultation the DSN said a pump was the way forward and I got one on Thursday (insulin, no saline trial) but no funding questions or process.
Obviously they had their paperwork to fill it etc but it didn't involve me really at all, it was straightforward. Possibly made faster by my being seen in preconception clinic but way easier than I ever imagined.
Luck of the draw it seems. Some people seem to have a difficult time getting them which is unfair.
Great news for you! Hooray!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is this the norm?

Not quite sure what you mean @MWilson , but between the discussion with my Consultant about pump suitability (and getting their consent) to the decision to provide funding I heard nothing, as I understand it the Consultants usually deal with it all and it doesn't require any patient input.

Good luck with the trial btw :)

D

Deleted Account

I think it depends on your diabetes team and how convinced they are that you would benefit from a pump.
If they want you to have a pump, they will do all the funding paperwork and you'll know nothing about it.
If they are less convinced that you will benefit from a pump, you need to convince them and provide justification for the funding.

MWilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many thanks all for the replies. Basically we have tried several different things like moving from Lantus to Levimir and now Toujeo which has not reduced night time Hypos so that's why he thinks the Pump is the best option. I just thought after reading various things on here and elsewhere the process would be more complex. Maybe I am just lucky with the team I have which I have to say are excellent after moving to them from the standard GP clinic.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Many thanks all for the replies. Basically we have tried several different things like moving from Lantus to Levimir and now Toujeo which has not reduced night time Hypos so that's why he thinks the Pump is the best option. I just thought after reading various things on here and elsewhere the process would be more complex. Maybe I am just lucky with the team I have which I have to say are excellent after moving to them from the standard GP clinic.

The beauty of a pump is you can have multiple basal rates, so if you tend to go low during the early hours you can programme the pump to deliver less insulin during this time (and increase the basal rate when your body requires more insulin).

When you start on a pump they'll likely start you off on one basal rate after which you will make adjustments based on some basal testing, a book worth it's weight in gold is Pumping Insulin by John Walsh & Ruth Roberts, if you've not purchased it yet then I highly recommend that you do, it teaches you all the basics of using a insulin pump plus much more.

Keep us updated on your progress :)

MWilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cheers just ordered the book so I have my weekend reading planned out.

MWilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well how things progress.
Just had an email from UPS saying my pump will arrive at some point Friday. Just checked after the latest Samsung update and now my S8+ works with my Libre. As days go this has been a good one. Plus after reading the book recommended by Noblehead I feel more comfortable. Will be asking loads of questions going forward and fingers crossed I might be able to help with some answers as time moves on.
M

Sent from my SM-G955F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That is great news @MWilson , here's hoping all goes well today.

MWilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I am on day 4 with my 640G and actual insulin. What an amazing few days it has been. In a short period I am up to 80% in target range and one hypo which was my fault as I ignored the pump suggested correction and added a couple of units. I know there will still be bumps ahead however I have to say after working hard with MDI and testing the ground work appears to be paying off so far. Best thing is no night time Hypos so far and the 3:00 rise has gone. My team deserve a huge amount of credit and I am lucky to have them.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Kim Possible

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well I am on day 4 with my 640G and actual insulin. What an amazing few days it has been. In a short period I am up to 80% in target range and one hypo which was my fault as I ignored the pump suggested correction and added a couple of units. I know there will still be bumps ahead however I have to say after working hard with MDI and testing the ground work appears to be paying off so far. Best thing is no night time Hypos so far and the 3:00 rise has gone. My team deserve a huge amount of credit and I am lucky to have them.

What a great post @MWilson , so pleased all is going well :)