Type 1 Pump

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been pumping for about 7 years and find it great. However, it is not for everyone.
Some people do not like having something attached to them all the time.
It is like learning how to manage diabetes from scratch again.
It can fail. Rarely, but it is possible and never at a good time. So you must be able to calmly cope with a failure which may mean temporarily reverting to injections.
When it fails, you can go into DKA quickly because you have no background (slow acting) insulin.

It is also expensive so in the UK you need to justify the cost.
You need to show you can my manage the complexity.
You need to convince your DSN you can cope with pump failure.
You need to be good at carb counting : more accurate than with injections.
You need to prove a need for variable basal and/or small doses (I can dose 0.05 units).
Pumps are rarely suitable for people on larger doses: they need changing every 3 days and contain 200 units.

If you believe you could benefit from a pump, talk to your DSN. They will know how likely you are to get one

Reactions: diamonddamaris

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it uncomfortable to sleep on? Do you know if the insulin isn’t working properly?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No it is not uncomfortable to sleep on. They wouldn't exist if you couldn't get to sleep with one on.
If you have a tubed pump, you can place it away from you or tether it somewhere you don't lie on. I used to tether mine to my upper thigh.
You should know the pump is not working because it will alarm. It is difficult to ignore.
If the pump thinks it is working but the insulin is not, your blood sugar levels will rise. If you have a CGM such as Libre, it will alarm if your levels go unexpectedly high.
If you are unable to notice your levels go high, a pump is probably no suitable for you.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Is it uncomfortable to sleep on?

Girls usually hand it on a bra ;) but I use syringes, so my advice is hardly really helpful. Someday I'll be rich enough to buy myself omnipod :D

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Girls usually hand it on a bra ;) but I use syringes, so my advice is hardly really helpful. Someday I'll be rich enough to buy myself omnipod :D
I don't know many girls who wear a bra in bed.
During the day time, I found it incredibly uncomfortable in my bra. As for hanging it from my bra, that resulted in a third lower boob. Plus, as it had no remote control, fumbling around in my bra for a bolus was inconvenient.
I think you meant "some women" put their pumps in their bra or hang it from their bra but there are other options for tubed pumps such as a pump belt

Btw omnipod is not the only patch pump. I use the Medtrum nano now.

• Agree
Reactions: Rokaab

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
So how long does it take to get used to the pump?
it is different for all of us just like our type 1 can be...... it took me about 6 weeks to get all of my settings fine tuned for me... i know others that have taken less time but your diabetic nurse will be supporting you to make adjustments

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me, getting used to the pump was way more than sorting out my settings. That was the easy bit
Much harder was having something attached to me all the time, having to carry much more paraphernalia every time I went away, not being able to hide the lump that was my pump so my diabetes felt as if it was in display all the time, having to chose my clothes based on how I could manage my pump (dresses were a nightmare), not being able to read the pump screen to give myself a bolus in direct sunlight, ...
I never got used to all of that until I got a patch pump. The patch pump helped with some things but I am still way way more self conscious of my diabetes than I was when injecting
My diabetes management is much better so I accept the rest. But "being used to it"? My first pump was 7years ago. Maybe it's just another step along the way of being used to diabetes.

Reactions: oldgreymare

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does it affect you when you have a shower or in water?
Depends what type of pump you have.
Tubed pumps can be temporarily disconnected for a shower.
Patch pumps can be worn in the shower. And bath
And swimming pool.
I wear it running, hiking, cycling.

But not sauna.

You can wear it when exercising.
I wore mine when I was doing flying trapeze.
I wear it climbing.
I wear it canoeing.
I wear it running, hiking, mountain biking.

You cannot wear it for x ray or MRI
But I have warm it for major surgery.

You can wear it on a plane.
Airport security it annoying (cannot be x-rayed) but very doable.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add, don't get hung up on any pump whether it is Tandem Slim or Omnipod or even patched vs tubed, until you have spoken to your DSN. Different clinics offer different pumps. It can be possible to get something different but it is unlikely. For example, my clinic offers no choice. It's Medtronic and that is it.
I was incredibly lucky to be offered to chance to be a Medtrum guinea pig but that was only because I had experienced the issues I mentioned above with my first pump. No one else since has had the choice.
Other clinics have more choice but I don't think any clinic offers whatever pump you want.

• Agree
Reactions: Rokaab

diamonddamaris

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So do you know when the insulin is going into your stomach with the pump? I like going to the Health Suite so that would be something o would have to consider if I were to get the pump. How long does a pump last?