Question about Blood sugar and job trials?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Hello everyone I’ve just a couple questions to ask related to blood sugar as I’ve got a trial for a sales assistant in a pet store on Saturday. it starts at 12. The trial is 1 1/2 hours and a face to face interview for around 30 minutes after.

questions
I don’t know whether I should have my lunch before or during the trial? (As I’m going to arrive 10 minutes early) As the pet store is a walking distance from my house.

Anyone who has had trials or works. Does your blood sugar drop or go high or does it depend how stressful your work is? Want to have a rough idea what my sugar levels will behave like. (As I don’t have a job and this is my first job trial)

I’ve already mentioned about my Diabetes to the company. However with there being animals in he store. Will they still allow me to keep my sensor alarms on? and my mobile with me? Free style libre 2 I’m on) I’m asking this as I don’t want the alarms to accidentally scare the animals or to get told off for checking my phone if alarm goes off.

Lobsang Tsultim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Taking a couple of seconds to take a reading is not the same as taking an hour to check Twitter posts :) and the company is required by the Disability Rights Act to make reasonable allowances. I'm not sure if the alarm would necessarily disturb the animals - is it possible to adjust it to a different tone if the interviewer is worried about it?

There is a section on the website concerning employment, maybe there is something helpful there:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-employment.html

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone I’ve just a couple questions to ask related to blood sugar as I’ve got a trial for a sales assistant in a pet store on Saturday. it starts at 12. The trial is 1 1/2 hours and a face to face interview for around 30 minutes after.

questions
I don’t know whether I should have my lunch before or during the trial? (As I’m going to arrive 10 minutes early) As the pet store is a walking distance from my house.

Anyone who has had trials or works. Does your blood sugar drop or go high or does it depend how stressful your work is? Want to have a rough idea what my sugar levels will behave like. (As I don’t have a job and this is my first job trial)

I’ve already mentioned about my Diabetes to the company. However with there being animals in he store. Will they still allow me to keep my sensor alarms on? and my mobile with me? Free style libre 2 I’m on) I’m asking this as I don’t want the alarms to accidentally scare the animals or to get told off for checking my phone if alarm goes off.

In your shoes, I would definitely not have lunch during the trial. I would have it before, or after I had been. Actually, I'd have to before, so that I knew I was well nourished.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I would have lunch before and plan to run higher than normal just in case. Stress can cause different reactions in different people and running "too high" is safer and less distracting than to go too low and have to treat. While the disabilities act protects everyone, an employer wants an employee that can effectively do their job. And first impressions go a long way. Do what you have to, to take care of yourself, but it would be best if it goes smoothly without any distractions.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Taking a couple of seconds to take a reading is not the same as taking an hour to check Twitter posts :) and the company is required by the Disability Rights Act to make reasonable allowances. I'm not sure if the alarm would necessarily disturb the animals - is it possible to adjust it to a different tone if the interviewer is worried about it?

There is a section on the website concerning employment, maybe there is something helpful there:
Thanks and no the animal question was me just over worrying but the alarms are way quieter than kids.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would have lunch before and plan to run higher than normal just in case. Stress can cause different reactions in different people and running "too high" is safer and less distracting than to go too low and have to treat. While the disabilities act protects everyone, an employer wants an employee that can effectively do their job. And first impressions go a long way. Do what you have to, to take care of yourself, but it would be best if it goes smoothly without any distractions.
Thanks

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
In your shoes, I would definitely not have lunch during the trial. I would have it before, or after I had been. Actually, I'd have to before, so that I knew I was well nourished.

Thanks guys

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing to add except good luck and hope you enjoy the job (interviews and trials are a two way thing - for you to check it out too)

Reactions: Lulu9101112

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing to add except good luck and hope you enjoy the job (interviews and trials are a two way thing - for you to check it out too)
Thanks and I just have one more question left. I’ve only got 2 days left of the sensor use. However I’ve got a black Mark that makes it look very dirty underneath especially round the edge. Is there anyway to get rid of this without Removing the sensor? Or would you just say to replace the sensor a bit early? As it’s a heatwave in U..K. Im wearing a short sleeve top or shirt for the trial tommorow

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks and I just have one more question left. I’ve only got 2 days left of the sensor use. However I’ve got a black Mark that makes it look very dirty underneath especially round the edge. Is there anyway to get rid of this without Removing the sensor? Or would you just say to replace the sensor a bit early? As it’s a heatwave in U..K. Im wearing a short sleeve top or shirt for the trial tommorow

To be honest, I doubt anyone would notice. Do your short sleeves not quite cover your sensor, if that's a concern?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. As AndBreathe said, I'd be surprised if anyone noticed a black mark around your sensor, but you could always cover it if you wanted to.

tomfalc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

questions

Are you on insulin? If you're on a pump, I would reduce your basal rate by 10% or so an hour before the interview. It's best to be a little high than risk going low during the interview. You may also be on your feet and active throughout. Stress can raise or lower blood sugars, making it difficult to predict. Keep an eye on your levels before going in, as the stress will build up prior to starting the interview. Put your phone on vibrate if you're worried about alarms, but in the body environment of a pet shop I doubt if it would be a problem. If they ask you not to take the phone into the store, tell them it provides medical alerts and you need it with you all the time. Is there a way to set it to do not disturb so you don't get phone calls and messages, but can still get Libre alerts on your phone? If so, set it up that way, and show them your done it, if you fell that helps. Above all, show them your willing to meet their requirements, but your medical needs have to come first.

nurseryboss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To be safe and confident at your interview have lunch before you go. I have had T1 diabetes for over 58 years and the advances are phenomenal, so you can easily check your blood sugar just before you start your interview. Good luck!