Type 2 Question about your diet for those with an HbA1c under 6%

Looking4someone2help

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am curious, about other people's food groups or diets look like? What do you typically eat?

I guess, I wonder if I am missing out on specific food groups and eating too much of others or maybe just curious.

My labs are mostly ok. A little low Vit D, calcium, and low red blood count which could be iron or b12 and folic acid (she didn't do further blood work cus it wasn't that below average). It came back great or average for all other vitamins and minerals. My blood work seems as expected to me 'cus I don't eat a lot of dairy or meat and I sun burn easily.

Anyway, I eat mostly fruit and veggies and try to eat beans or nuts or seeds for protein and rice or whole wheat bread for most of my minerals. I try to eat meat or eggs and cheese whenever I can, but it's not often or it's a couple bites and not my main course. I very rarely/almost never use butter or margarin, or cow milk or yogurt or sour cream etc. I dunno if it's perfect diet, but seems to work for me. My doctor says a multi vitamin should take care of being low on calcium and red blood cells either way. I've increased my leafy greens sense talking to her and lab work. And vitamin D 15,000 once per week should raise my Vit D. But I want to have numbers that are not diabetic or only pre diabetic if possible. My a1c was fine but always room to improve and stay healthy.

This was my diet on 10/9 and it's probably typical... Not the healthiest nor unhealthiest I eat but overall good average on my diet.
Breakfast
-smoothies and usually only fruit with coconut water
Lunch salad
- salad with spinach, black beans, few bites of chicken, and tomatoes
Dinner
-small bowl of 3 bean chili
-small salad
Snack
-few bites of fresh fruit

I just downloaded the app and I don't see where I choose a category for my post. I hope it goes to the correct tab. If not I'm sorry and I'll play with the app more.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hba1c fits the band you are looking for.

I eat low carb high fat.
Usually one or two big meals a day, with the plate filled by 25% meat fish or eggs, and 75% veg or salad. Plenty of cheese, butter, olive oil and coconut butter. I get deficient in Vit D if I don't supplement, and take additional supplements like magnesium, potassium, chromium, K2, Q10 and Omega 3.

Cholesterol ratios are great. Skin, hair and eyes are clear and healthy. I avoid all grains and sugar because they seem to cause joint inflammation and I find wheat causes murderous heartburn if I have it 3 days in a row.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My A1c has come down to 5.8 from 10.4 in just under 6 months. I do not eat any grains, fruit, beans (except string or wax beans), potatoes, rice, bread, pasta or root veggies. My diet is very much like @Brunneria 's. Some meats or eggs and a lot of salad and veggies with either full fat dressing or butter on the veg. A bit of cheese or a few nuts for a snack. A favorite snack is boursin cheese scooped up with celery sticks. I also take some supplements, D3 and B12 being the most important due to metformin and living in a Northern country (Canada). I have also lost 30 pounds during the last 6 months.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My hba1c is currently 5.6 and I mostly eat full fat yoghurt, berries, salads, veggies, eggs, nuts and meat. However, through testing, I have also found that I can tolerate more carby foods such as ricecakes, bread and potatoes so I also include these but in smaller portions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My last HbA1c was 4.6
Eat meat, green veg, salad, seafood, fish and pork scratchings for snacks. Coffee comes with double cream and newly discovered unsweetened hemp milk. Tea has full fat lactofree milk (the lowest in carbs I could find). Desserts a few raspberries with full fat yoghurt or/and double cream with maybe some Oppo ice cream if feeling indulgent. Currently experimenting with a 3 day eating 4 day fasting regime to see impact on weight loss. So far so good. Never eat anything starchy.

ianh9516

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Latest HbA1c 6.3 following Banting Diet (LCHF)
Breakfast 1 Sausage, 2 Bacon, 2 Fried Eggs, 2 Grilled tomatoes
Lunch - Nil
Dinner Meat (or fish) and above ground veg. Cauliflower cheese instead of Potatoes etc
Supper Cheese and 1 fruit (apple or pear mainly)
DN shocked at my weight loss, HbA1c improvement!!!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I eat only meat, eggs, and dairy. It seems to work for me.

Reactions: sejehh

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'd be interested to hear if anyone can achieve a hba1c under 6 while eating a 'normal' amount of carbs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be interested to hear if anyone can achieve a hba1c under 6 while eating a 'normal' amount of carbs

I think to appreciate that, you would also need to know what meds are being used alongside the diet.

I believe that most of the people who have posted so far are T2 and diet controlled (but not everyone :))

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt it very much if they're diabetic. Maybe non-diabetics achieve it, but then again, how does anyone quantify "normal carbs"? Even the definition of a "low" carb diet causes debate.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think you should define "normal".
If normal is eat a sausage pizza, a pint of beer and a Pastiera, i don't know.
If "normal" is following a diet made by a dietician of the health centre, with a 45-55% carb intake, 25% fat and 25% proteins, yeah, one could achieve an hba1c under 6.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say there is no normal diet a good diet is the one that works for you personally. For some it's LCHF for others they may prefer lower fat and for some just having small portions of all types of food works for them.

Reactions: sejehh

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My A1c has come down to 5.8 from 10.4 in just under 6 months. I do not eat any grains, fruit, beans (except string or wax beans), potatoes, rice, bread, pasta or root veggies. My diet is very much like @Brunneria 's. Some meats or eggs and a lot of salad and veggies with either full fat dressing or butter on the veg. A bit of cheese or a few nuts for a snack. A favorite snack is boursin cheese scooped up with celery sticks. I also take some supplements, D3 and B12 being the most important due to metformin and living in a Northern country (Canada). I have also lost 30 pounds during the last 6 months.

Great reduction, a wee bit fast though no?.....have you had your eyes checked.....?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Great reduction, a wee bit fast though no?.....have you had your eyes checked.....?
No I don't think its too fast. Many have done it even faster. That is the power of a low carb diet for a T2. Having said that I also take metformin and forxiga.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My current HbA1c is 6% with no meds or supplements.
Cholesterol and other markers all normal to good.
I eat meat, plenty of oily fish, all dairy, all full fat, dozens of eggs, no normal bread, (just Lidl high protein rolls), no rice, no pasta
My veggies aren't great, mainly peas and plenty of mushrooms, some cauli and broccoli. Very small portions of potatoes.
Lots of tomatoes.
Ground flaxseed and other seeds.

Reactions: hankjam

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

I think that depends on your interpretation of 'normal', I eat carbs with most if not every meal and snack on carbs too but not in any great amounts, I still eat rice but only basmati and only one or two table spoons full at a time, the same with potatoes but only a couple at a time and usually either roast or chips never the more processed mash or even boiled, I dont eat much pasta maybe once a month and in what I call a reasonable amount but again it depends what you or I call 'reasonable'.

I was on insulin for a year after my T2 diagnosis and started a low carb diet but with no added fat and stuck to around 60g carbs a day for a little under a year, oh and for about 4 or 5 months I also cut out all alcohol. In a year I had lost 4 stone (56 lb) and was able to come off insulin nd since then after another year I had lost another stone (14lb) and have more or less maintained that weight loss for almost 7 years now and am now able to eat a pretty normal diet.

But my aim was to lose weight and in so doing reduce my insulin resistance and reverse my diabetes which I am pleased to say I have done.

I will never go back to my old ways of overeating and am still very concious of only eating what I need and not what I would like.

So depending on your interpretation of normal, yes my hba1c's have been in the normal range for almost 7 years and I eat a 'normal' diet.

Edit. ps. I was taking metformin up until earlier this year when I stopped taking the last 1 tablet a day about 5 months ago, so I am now completely med free as far as my T2, although I am considering going back on 1 met tablet a day to help maintain my weight loss as I have put on a few pounds since stopping. But basically no meds and a normal diet :)

Last edited:

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I typically eat to 200-230g of carbs a day and my last HbA1c (a month or so ago) came in at 5.7%. I've adopted a grazing approach to eating, I.e little and often and it seems to work for me. I don't eat potatoes or root vegetables, but do eat apples, bananas, wholemeal bread, breakfast cereals, brown pasta and rice occasionally. I also eat tons of fresh leafy vegetables

In addition, I use a freestyle libre and only eat once my blood has started to drop. Doing this does require a bit of discipline but it has kept my blood sugar under control and my weight steady at 66kg so I'm happy to do it :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a vegetarian and eat LCHF .. so most veg and nuts .. a small number of eggs from my pet hens ..

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat whats 'normal' for me carb wise since going into T2 remission ... (I was on 20g of carbs a day) But as my pallet has changed I really don't like all the carbs the gov advise to eat .. so don't eat them ... I don't restrict the carbs as I did .. but my numbers are still in the normal non diabetic range

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 here. My A1C for the last year or more has been 5.1.
I eat above ground veg, lettuce wraps, moderate amounts of meat, fish, eggs, and healthy fats until satisfied. Avocado, nuts, pumpkin seeds, olives, olive oil and mayo. No dairy, grains, starch, root veg, sugar, fruit, etc.
Small meals and snacks.
No, I don't hypo. I take very small doses of insulin.

Reactions: AmandaD