Question Re 2 hr BG test.

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm a newly diagnosed type1, diagnosed end of April this year. I have been reading the forum avidly :) and see that the advice is to test 2hrs after eating. I have been told by my DSN not to do this as the figure is skewed as I will still have insulin in my system from my pre meal injection. ( I'm on levemir/humalog basal bolus regime) So, should I test 2 hrs post meal or not?

I currently test on waking, before each meal, before bed and before I get behind the wheel or if I feel low.

My control is good for a newbie,(so I'm told! :)) probably because I am honeymooning and currently only take 2units of levemir AM/ & 3PM and I think the AM levemir is possible still too much as I often drop between breakfast and lunch.( i started off on 12units of levemir Am & PM) I was given a ratio of 1:10g, too high IME but I'm doing a not very scientific 'knock 1.5 units off ' which has stopped my hypo's and keeps me between 5 & 7.

I'm due to see my DSN n Tuesday , id like a proper ratio to work with too as it's pretty much guess work at the moment but I know 1:10is too high, but 1:13 for example seems a bit complicated!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Claire, the reason why people test their bg 2 hours postprandial is to see if the food they've eaten has spiked their bg or is on track in reducing their bg levels (also to pre-empt a hypo if levels are falling fast), but what your DSN is basically saying is you still have active insulin in your system and this will continue to lower your bg levels for a further 2-3 hours, most quick-acting insulins like Novorapid and Apidra are active for up to 4-5 hours after injecting.

If you do notice some spikes but your bg levels are fine before you next eat then you might want to think about taking your insulin ahead of your food, some of us find that injecting 15-30 mins before eating reduces postprandial spikes as QA insulins take around 15 mins to work after injecting.

The following is an on-line carb counting course similar to what is taught on DAFNE and will give you an idea on how to work out insulin-to-carb ratio's, when you see your DSN on Tuesday ask if can put your name down for the next available course, they usually insist that you've been diabetic for 6 months before enrolling but the waiting times are long and I'd expect by the time a place on the course becomes available you will be well past the 6 month mark:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Reactions: 6 people

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Noblehead, that's very helpful. I've already signed up for DAFNE, but I'll definitely take a look at the link you posted. Cheers.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You should also try to keep your meals five hours apart with your bolus's. This will enable you to see specifically if your bloods rise 2-3 hours after eating...
2-3 hours (as a general rule is the rise or fall for bolus). Readings at any other time will be accountable to basals being incorrect.... This is generalised though.

For optimal T1 control after a meal you would not want to see any rise above 2.8 2-3 hours after a bolus from your pre meal reading. This is why it is important to do a reading after eating.

Hope this helps...