Question re lantus

MimB

Hi a quick question about lantus
I take 9 unit at 10pm and that's no problem keeps my blood sugar level above 5 in the morning when I wake

on Friday for the first time in ages I went out out! I took my lantus at 10:45 (as got a bit distracted with a good band!) but then didn't walk the 1/2 mile home until after midnight

At 10:45 my blood sugar level was 8.9. I measured it again when I got home and it was 4.4.

question 1 should I have tested it before I left the venue (yes I think so!)

question 2 should I have not actually taken it until I got home in which case it would have been 3 hours after my normal time.

Thank you in advance

ThatJim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've done this before and had a nasty hypo, I put it down to the usual distance between eating and Lantus initial injection. Little in the system to grab it.
I've held off Lantus for up to 2 hours off usual time (driving back home with little/nothing to eat and planned to eat when home). I then account for the extra time by maybe dropping my NovoRapid by a unit at the usual time the next evening. But it all depends on how well behaved my BG has been that day

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Lantus & live music?
I’m a band member.. Interestingly. I can delay my Lantus on a gig night by 3 hours till I get home.
I use a sensor to catch the blind spots twix testing. I can be in the late 4s by the end of the night with a slight rise in the mid 5s after packing down & driving home. Then a little drop to late fours again after I’ve settled with a glass of wine & contemplating my basal & bolus for something to eat?
This is just running on basal. Lunch was a good 12 or 13 hours earlier. ( can’t eat just prior to a gig.)

For me, this seems to be a consistent trend. I call it, “the power of rock & roll.” The basal should have technically worn off with my BGs climbing.. Not in a pretty respectable “holding pattern.”

I feel it is a question of repeating the action on your next night out & try and spot a pattern??