Question re xDrip+ predictive simulations

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I've been using xDrip+ for a few weeks now, am very happy with it.

In Settings/Predictive Simulations, I've tweaked the Carb Ratio and Insulin Sensitivity to suit how those generally work out for me (have left the others alone till I understand what they actually mean!).

So, having done that, I'm then entering treatments, and I then get the purple dots showing where it might take me.

Recently, there's been a few situations where I've done the usual stuff you do before deciding on a bolus and I've maybe been in two minds whether it should be, say, 6 or 8.

So, I've entered 6 on xDrip+, see what that prediction looks like, then cancelled it, entered 8 and compare it to the 6 prediction.

It's obviously just an additional clue/hint/tip for me, I'm not basing the decision on the prediction alone.

Anyway, after that explanation, I finally get to the question.

For people who've been using cgm for a while, what's your take on using predictive simulations as part of a bolusing decision?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Scott-C.
The xDrip+ predictions are potentially fairly useful but there are some limitations. For me It takes a long time before boluses take effect - perhaps as much as 70 minutes if I'm not active. Even allowing for the delay in Dexcom readings that is a long time. It would be good if there was a delay parameter in xDrip+. Also there is nothing in the prediction model which covers exercise - although the software can detect it.

I do wonder if the OpenAPS algorithms could one day be applied to MDI entries in xDrip+ , learning from previously entered data - that would be great! Beyond my limited skills, unfortunately.