Question

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
i tried to get someone to answer this question earlier and they haven't got back and I really want some feedback , so here goes again--

I am on a low carb diet that is working but got a spanner in the works when told my cholestral was to high at doctors appointment ( results at diagnosis was used from three weeks ago) my conundrum is that reducing cholestral seems to contradict the high fat part of the low carb diet, i.e dairy, Greek yogurts , fatty bacon to name but a few, has anyone got any experience with this?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep.. Changed to meditereanean diet food only.. Not cheese, not cream, not yogurt. Loads of olive oil. About 1/2litre a week currently.. Olives, avocados, oily fish.

Reactions: 2 people

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thx donnellysdogs, I suppose once the Cholestral is under control then cheese , cream and yogurt could return .

Am I ok with bacon, chicken, lamb etc?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I eat meat once or twice a week, ie pork belly rashers, steak etc. I have 3 or 4 eggs a week..

Some say that cholesterol will rise when first lchf and mine did. I wasn't prepared to see if it then dropped. I kept fats in as I never ate enough of them but changed to the meditereanean eating instead...3 months later my cholesterol is back good again...

I never had bad cholesterol before... I added more fats in like cheese, etc to get a balance and some more calories that I need. So when my total shot up to over 6.0 I wasn't happy.. And my non diabetic hubby had his go in wrong direction and decided to accept GP advice and go on to 40mg statin. Now his statin reduced to 20mg.
The improvement came within 3 months. They didn't do a breakdown of lipids on the above 6.0 test for me just on my hubby. They did full lipids on the following test though and I am well happy with the results.

I love my food now and wouldnt change back. So I don't know about adding the cream etc back in...I'm not prepared to risk it.

Reactions: 4 people

Rog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I eat meat once or twice a week, ie pork belly rashers, steak etc. I have 3 or 4 eggs a week..
On a low-carb diet, HDL tends to go up and triglycerides down, while Total and LDL cholesterol tend to stay the same. LDL particle size tends to increase and LDL particle number tends to go down. All good things (8, 9).
the cream etc back in...I'm not prepared to risk it.
Thanks

Some say that cholesterol will rise when first lchf and mine did. I wasn't prepared to see if it then dropped. I kept fats in as I never ate enough of them but changed to the meditereanean eating instead...3 months later my cholesterol is back good again...

I never had bad cholesterol before... I added more fats in like cheese, etc to get a balance and some more calories that I need. So when my total shot up to over 6.0 I wasn't happy.. And my non diabetic hubby had his go in wrong direction and decided to accept GP advice and go on to 40mg statin. Now his statin reduced to 20mg.
The improvement came within 3 months. They didn't do a breakdown of lipids on the above 6.0 test for me just on my hubby. They did full lipids on the following test though and I am well happy with the results.

I love my food now and wouldnt change back. So I don't know about adding the cream etc back in...I'm not prepared to risk it.
Donnelysdogs

I didn't know we who have diabetes go straight to high risk of cardiovascular problems , anyone's thoughts would be appreciated . ?

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]If You Have

1/Heart disease, diabetes, or risk score more than 20%*

2 or more risk factors and risk score 10-20%

2 or more risk factors and risk score less than 10%

0 or 1 risk factor[/COLOR]