Quit tobacco three weeks ago and doing fine but

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know something that can't be normal and that is the fact I have gained over 6 kilograms in the 25 days or so since I stopped tobacco. SIX KILOGRAMS, can someone please explain this?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know something that can't be normal and that is the fact I have gained over 6 kilograms in the 25 days or so since I stopped tobacco. SIX KILOGRAMS, can someone please explain this?
That is the eating and drinking to replace the dreaded "fag". You will get all that under control in time. Anger management might be a new thing you may have to consider.
Giving up smoking is no easy task, I think your doing so well, all the benefits will soon hit you so be calm and let your dear hubby suffer for a few months. :):)
I am one of those that gave up about 26 years ago, and cannot believe the price of cigs; today.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you do tend to gain weight as you eat more and feel hungry all the time, more over when you want a cig you try to eat instead of having a cig, i ahve done so, so talking from my personal experience.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't going to mention the weight thing unless you did but yes, that's what can happen. What's 6 kilos as a percentage of your total weight? As izzzi says, it's not easy and I would add that like any addiction it's pretty sneaky, waiting for you to relax your attention. It helped me if I concentrated on one aim: don't light up that first cigarette. Just the one. No.
I'm sorry about my avatar -- he's probably going to have horrible diseases later. And no one will love him because he smells.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is 10% of my bodyweight.

Even if I maybe eat a bit more than I did before there is no way this could explain such huge weight gain in so short period of time.
It's just not possible.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't going to mention the weight thing unless you did but yes, that's what can happen. What's 6 kilos as a percentage of your total weight? As izzzi says, it's not easy and I would add that like any addiction it's pretty sneaky, waiting for you to relax your attention. It helped me if I concentrated on one aim: don't light up that first cigarette. Just the one. No.
I'm sorry about my avatar -- he's probably going to have horrible diseases later. And no one will love him because he smells.
Blast, you beat me to it. I was going to have a pop at your "avatar"
I actually saw a gentleman driving in his vehicle the other day smoking a pipe, he did look rather stupid:yuck:. ( yet I was that stupid about 36 years ago.)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414577357.760449.jpg

I hope the above is accurate.

Proud of you!

Pavlos

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

Well done Totto keep it up. I gave up over 9 years ago and it was nowhere as hard as I thought it would be. I.can't help on the constant hunger though not something I had so I never gained weight. I know a lot of people do put on weight because they tend to replace cigarettes with sweets and chocolate hopefully you won't be doing that though

Janiept

Expert

It's well documented that smoking boosts your metabolism so when you stop obviously your metabolism slows down, so that even if you don't eat any more you will be burning less calories.
Then of course there are those few extra nibbles that you have instead of a cigarette so that makes weight gain even worse.
Your body will adapt quite quickly but some weight gain is to be expected.
Oh and by the way - Well Done !!!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's well documented that smoking boosts your metabolism so when you stop obviously your metabolism slows down, so that even if you don't eat any more you will be burning less calories.
Then of course there are those few extra nibbles that you have instead of a cigarette so that makes weight gain even worse.
Your body will adapt quite quickly but some weight gain is to be expected.
Oh and by the way - Well Done !!!
Thank you.

So smoking ups metabolism but quitting slows metabolism down.

In Sweden, where I live, 89% or there about are non-smokers. So how long will it take for my metabolism to catch up with the rest of them that doesn't smoke?

You don't gain this much from the extra nibbles, believe me, there are strong forces working hard here.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, now I get it, it is the low numbers of smokers that explains the high obesity rates!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do not know why people who stop smoking often put on weight, I just know that they do.

Comfort eating, reduced metabolism, some other reason?

Does the why matter?

You probably know what you need to do to shed the excess weight, eat less and exercise more. Dare I suggest this? Eat less carbs!

Whether the time is right for you to do this is now, when you are still adjusting to giving up smoking or whether it will have to wait for later only you can decide.

Pavlos

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not know why people who stop smoking often put on weight, I just know that they do.

Comfort eating, reduced metabolism, some other reason?

Does the why matter?

You probably know what you need to do to shed the excess weight, eat less and exercise more. Dare I suggest this? Eat less carbs!

Whether the time is right for you to do this is now, when you are still adjusting to giving up smoking or whether it will have to wait for later only you can decide.

Pavlos
Yeah, I know, will reduce carbs down to 10 grams a day and see if has any effect.

As to eat less, don't know about that. Nor about exercise more as I work pretty hard already.

I am intrigued though, how after being perfectly stable at a BMI of 21.5 I suddenly have gained a stone in a very short period of time.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, I know, will reduce carbs down to 10 grams a day and see if has any effect.

As to eat less, don't know about that. Nor about exercise more as I work pretty hard already.

I am intrigued though, how after being perfectly stable at a BMI of 21.5 I suddenly have gained a stone in a very short period of time.
Consider the possibility that you may need to reduce calorific intake by cutting down on fat if cutting carbs does not work.
We know you are on a high fat diet and that fats are high in calories. If the suggestion that giving up smoking slows down metabolism, you may not be able to cope with the same number of calories as you used to.
I imagine that working in the farm more than takes care of the exercise requirement.
Must admit I am also intrigued.
Let's hope it's only a transition thing and you soon settle back into your old you.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I didn't put on any weight after I stopped ( smoked for many years) I sucked sugar free polo's in the first few weeks, which helped a lot when i had cravings, but have never snacked between meals. Keeping the mind and body active was good for me as well.

RRB :)

Reactions: 2 people