Ramipril >>> Blood pressure

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone else use Ramipril?

I have been increased from 2.5g to 5g a day.

It really isn't doing much to reduce my blood pressure.

BP is currently 134/81. The objective is to get my diastolic BP into the seventies.

Has anyone has a positive response to Ramipril?

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I use Rampiril 10mg and Amlodipine 10mg for my BP. The Rampril also helps protect my Kidneys, I have Stage 4 CKD and it is important that I keep my BP below 130/70, before I stared treatment it was 210/140!! I think the Amlodipine is more effective at lowering BP

Lorna

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
sterling said:
Does anyone else use Ramipril?

I have been increased from 2.5g to 5g a day.

It really isn't doing much to reduce my blood pressure.

BP is currently 134/81. The objective is to get my diastolic BP into the seventies.

Has anyone has a positive response to Ramipril?

Hi there, I use Ramipril but it's not for BP, I don't have high BP, I take it for my Kidneys, 1.25mg, so just a low dose, but it has helped, because I don't have protein in my Kidneys anymore. :D

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take it 1.25mg to protect my kidneys too - BP was fine before starting it at 130/76 - it is now 104/61 so it dropped my BP too :)

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lovinglife said:
I take it 1.25mg to protect my kidneys too - BP was fine before starting it at 130/76 - it is now 104/61 so it dropped my BP too :)

Thank you for the response.

Please can you tell me whether your BP dropped immediately upon taking Ramipril or whether it took several months.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went for a BP test 1 month after starting them - then I went monthly for 3 months after that just to make sure it wasn't going too low - it stayed around the same so GP was happy for me to keep taking them

C

chris lowe

Hi Stirling, I take 2.5mg Rampiril a day and my blood pressure is lower - I had appointment with DSN last week but can't remember what she said but it was below the average. Just got a new lot of capsules and they are a different colour, white and bright orange! Every time I get a new script it seems the packaging or the capsules change. Are you able to check your blood pressure yourself just in case it's "surgery anxiety" that's raising it up?

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I take 7.5mg / day and it works for me. Ramipril has reduced my BP from averaging around 160/95 to nowadays being around 110/70. Some of that reduction is undoubtedly to do with losing some weight but I am happy and would like to take 10mg / day. In times of stress I use to regularly exceed 200/something before starting Ramipril.

Apart from reducing BP Ramipril has other effects so to treat heart failure (a condition where the pumping action of the heart is reduced). It is also used to reduce the risk of heart attack, strokes and prevent the worsening of existing kidney problems. On a low carb diet where you may be consuming more protein it's kidney protective function is very useful.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi folks,
I've been on Ramipril 5mg and Vit D3 suppliments for 4-5 months having had my BP and vit D checked out. I'm a 62 male with type 1 and now on Porcine Neutral and Isophane..lantus survivor. Anyway, I've started having joint pains especially the right index fingure. At times I cannot move the fingure as it feels like its coming out of the knockle joint. I have been strapping the fingure to the middle fingure to ease the movement and pain. I have read that rampril can cause joint pain..My skin has also become itchy like if I've been bitten by 'mossies'. The pain started around the same time I went onto rampril. Also gum problems have started as well..biospy required.

Has anyone out there suffered joint pains etc. My doc is unsure of what is causing the pain and referred me to the orthopedic dept at the hospital.