Rapid increase in HbA1c in prediabetes - causes?

HazelAgnew

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m 53, a nurse and a vegetarian who cooks from scratch. I’m also a non smoker & non drinker. I’ve always been active – I cycle or walk everywhere & don’t own a car. My BMI is in the normal range.
I was feeling tired and had a blood test on 1st November. My neutrophil levels were low (1.6; normal range is around 1.9 – 7.5), so I've presumably had some sort of infection - I'm to have my neutrophil levels checked again...
What did surprise me is that I’m now classed as prediabetic here in NZ - my HbA1c level was 41 mmol/mol (in NZ prediabetes is 41 - 49 mmol/mol). This is substantially higher than it was in August this year, when my HbA1c level was 32 mmol/mol. My lifestyle & diet haven’t changed, although I’m now being more careful with my diet - e.g. reducing portion sizes & not buying biscuits etc - since receiving these results. I have no other health conditions (apart from athlete's foot!). What could be possible reasons for such a rapid change in HbA1c levels?

Last edited by a moderator:

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if I am not wrong it is the same here in UK, if it has increased you might want to keep a track on your diet and also check your glucose before and 2 hours after meals sometimes just to check if there is anything in particular that you like and is spiking you.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to ask - what are you considering 'being more careful with your diet'?

As a vegetarian, you are probably higher in carbs, and maybe lower in protein than we carnivores, and any shift towards higher carbs, even whole grain ones, or extra fruit, or lower fat, can have a significant impact on blood glucose.

(Hi and welcome, by the way!)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome

Here in the UK the HbA1c levels for diagnosing diabetes are
20 to 41 (non-diabetic)
42 to 47 (pre-diabetic)
48 and over (diabetic)

Something changed in between your two tests. The most likely is your diet, although there could be other things. It is very easy, if you don't keep a strict food diary, to overlook increased consumption of favourite foods.

As your neutrophils are low you will be more susceptible to infections, so maybe you carry some mild infections you have no symptoms for, and that could raise your levels, but probably not by so much. Are you on other medications? if so, maybe these are affecting matters, and some are notorious for lowering neuts.