Readings in the middle of the night?

markd

For me, times like 02-30 are things that only happen to other people, I hit the sack at 23-30 and stay there till approx 07-30 usually.

Anyway, last night, I was up at that antisocial time (a spider had discovered that the burglar alarm sensor was a great place to go and triggered the alarm) so decided out of interest to take a BG reading.

It was 4.6 - this is one of the weeks (every 4-6 weeks or so) when I do a few daily BG measurements to back up my usual two-monthly A1c readings.

Anyone else have datapoints at that time of day? I'm diet only - moderately locarb - (with occasional Glucobay if I'm aiming at a carb-heavy meal) and fasting yesterday was 4.3, before supper was 4.6, then that 4.6 in the cold dark hour of 02-30 and it was 4.6 at 08-30 today. Last A1c was 4.7

The data about BG levels during the day seems to be pretty solid, but the graphs I've seen published don't seem to agree that much in the wee small hours. Some graphs I've seen show an average normal at that time of day to be 4.4, others show normal as low as 3.8. Yet another study showed plenty of normal people sitting quite a bit above 5 in the middle of the night,

Just interested...

mark

anniep

Fortunately for me, I have never been awake enough at that time in the morning to think about testing my BG!!!

markd

Helga said:
Are you sure you even have a problem with your glucose at all? I can only dream about those numbers.

3 years ago, my numbers were much higher - since then I've lost over 8 stone (40%) in weight, keep up a reasonable amount of exercise and low carb. I did use Metformin for a while then Glucobay for a bit while I was sorting myself out.

I'm sure that if I went back to my bad old ways, my numbers would go bad again too, but for the moment, I show no obvious signs of diabetes.

Here is the output of my One Touch meter for the last three months - somewhere, I have the equivalent for three years ago - much scarier....

mark

Attachments

• 90day-diabetic-target-sm.jpg
    90day-diabetic-target-sm.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 758

markd

anniep said:
Fortunately for me, I have never been awake enough at that time in the morning to think about testing my BG!!!

It was interesting, but I'm not interested enough to set my alarm and do it again...

mark