Reasons For Insulin Sensitivity

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I have been on Insulin for past 46 years, was on Mixtard then on Human Actrapid and Human Insulatard. For past 1 year i have become sensitive to Human Actrapid. When I started with it it was 15 units of Actrapid and 15 units of Insulatard. Now I am just taking half of the dosage. If the sugar levels are high and I increase even 1 unit of Actrapid I become hypoglycemic. My doctor says that I have become sensitive to Insulin. Has anybody experienced this, why is the insulin requirement coming down? Can anybody suggest a solution, actually insulin is required but I have to take small dose thrice a day. Are there any suggestions?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @SHmano Insulin sensitivity can change for many reasons, heat, exercise, weight changes, hormones, stress. There isn't a specific answer to your question, what's vital is if your insulin needs are changing then keep a diary/log, and record doses, food/carbs eaten, review your ratios regularly.

Also have you ever done any basal testing to check your Insulatard dose is right for your daily needs ? I'd do a check on this as getting the basal insulin right is essential for good control.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @SHmano, From my reading as a patient, and not as professional advice or opinion, the only things that make us diabetics on insulin more sensitive to insulin could be gradual weight loss, rotation to less used injection sites or other causes of increased absorption, like for some in hot weather, past inaccurate dosing, exercise increase, reduction in stress and a reduction in kidney function. (there may be others).
Until it is clearer what factor(s) may be relevant in your situation the solution is not easy to find.
Best Wishes with finding cause and solution.

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have very increased sensitivity on Actrapid last year due to stress and hot weather. I used to be around 17.0 after 2 hours of eating lunch then around 5.5 to 6.1 before dinner (7 hours after injection!!) I was on premixed insulin for 9 years (Mixtard 30 morning and night, Actrapid for lunch) I must say it is not the best regimen. I used insulatard as well and it was like a mine field, irregular ups and downs with sugar.

Reactions: kitedoc

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to have very increased sensitivity on Actrapid last year due to stress and hot weather. I used to be around 17.0 after 2 hours of eating lunch then around 5.5 to 6.1 before dinner (7 hours after injection!!) I was on premixed insulin for 9 years (Mixtard 30 morning and night, Actrapid for lunch) I must say it is not the best regimen. I used insulatard as well and it was like a mine field, irregular ups and downs with sugar.
May I suggest a half unit pen?

SHmano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @SHmano Insulin sensitivity can change for many reasons, heat, exercise, weight changes, hormones, stress. There isn't a specific answer to your question, what's vital is if your insulin needs are changing then keep a diary/log, and record doses, food/carbs eaten, review your ratios regularly.

Also have you ever done any basal testing to check your Insulatard dose is right for your daily needs ? I'd do a check on this as getting the basal insulin right is essential for good control.
Thanks for your suggestion. How to test for basal insulin, to know if the insulin dosage is correct.