Reassurance needed!

Maddileigh

Hi all.

T1 diabetic for 15 years, on MDI. I'm currently 9 weeks pregnant and was looking for some other people's experiences.

For the last 3 weeks I've been having increasingly recurring hypos and my insulin requirements have been dropping. I had a scan on Monday and baby looks perfect and healthy.

Since last night my bloods have been running high and I've been having to battle to get them down, I woke at 3am to test on my libre and to my horror I had been at 14mmol for around an hour. I corrected and came down within the next hour but again today I've had a spike after breakfast that is refusing to come down.

I had a miscarriage in December and am petrified that these high blood sugars are going to cause the same thing to happen. I know that in the second trimester insulin requirements can increase but surely it's too early for this to happen now. Does this mean something's wrong?

My average over 14 days on the libre is 6.3mmol and my last HBA1c last month was 49 so I'm happy with these I just didn't know how much impact these high blood sugars are having. Do they have the same impact over a short period of time as they would over a prolonged period of time?

Sorry for the panic and negativity, just need some reassurance!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Maddileigh No, it doesn't mean any thing is wrong :) You're at the beginning of 'hypo time' and having some spikes isn't unusual.

If you get a high, correct as long as it's ok to do so (ie you haven't still got insulin working, etc) and move on :) My consultant said that was the best thing to do, and then try to,work out if there was any cause and check if your insulin needs adjusting. It's impossible to,stay in range every minute of every day.

Stress can cause high sugars too, so please don't worry too much. Ups and downs in pregnancy are normal. That's what makes it hard work. Keep testing lots and react to,your results if necessary - either with hypo treatments/extra food, correction doses, or adjustment of your basal and/or ratios :)

You're doing ok :)

Maddileigh

@azure thank you. I promised myself this pregnancy that I would stay calm and not worry about things too much and up until today I seem to have been doing ok.

Today I am in full meltdown mode and worrying about every little thing. Got to love these pregnancy hormones! I just want to get into bed a cry, for no apparent reason!

It's incredible how attached you can get to a little splodge on a screen and how much you can worry about it before you've ever met it!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
As @azure has said, you are doing fine. To reassure you, I had my now teenager at the age of 42 1/2 and she is a healthy and a beautiful 16 year old, my best diabetes moment for sure, at one point I was taking tiny amounts of Insulin to cover food, each trimester is different.
Try not to worry to much or get too anxious, lots of deep breaths and the months will sail by, enjoy it and good luck X :)