Receding gums

kitsunerin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all,

So I've had bad teeth since I was a little kid. I did eat a lot of sweets but when I was diagnosed with type 1 at 16 they said a lot of it was to do with diabetes. I've always had bleeding gums too. I do brush my teeth twice a day and also use mouthwash (sugar free). My teeth were so bad when I was 14, one literally cracked in two in my mouth and it was all chalky and horrible :(

My bottom front teeth have been receding for a while and it really worries me.... I'm only 29. My dentist told me to use an electric toothbrush but idk how to start searching for one, the prices seem all over the place.

I guess I just wanna see if anyone else here has a similar problem with their teeth and such, and what have you been doing about it?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
electric toothbrush are a bit softer and kinder to your teeth-- boots are best just check till they have some on 1/2 price -- i only paid about £15 for my braun

mine arent as bad as yours by your description :eek:

i also use interdental brushes -- like flossing but kinder

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Three or four years ago my dentist said my gums were in a very poor condition and they nearly always bled when cleaning. 2 years ago I was diagnosed T1. I have been on a low carb diet for the last 18 months, keeping my BG levels low (my target is 4.6 fasting and 5.6 2 hrs after meals). Dentist said my gums are now great, I never have any bleeding when cleaning my teeth now. Dentist says it is probably because I no longer consume any sugar. I think it is probably more down to low BG levels. Maybe a bit of each.

amey_13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The Way The World Is Headed....
I have always tried to maintain my oral hygiene throughout the years, but I got diagnosed type 2 and then started getting bleeding gums. Gradually I have developed Periodontitus and I am now losing teeth. I brush every day, use an electric brush and interdental brushes. Mind you, my BG control was quite bad up until I went on Insulin. Best thing I've done.

Reactions: Welshie56