Recent T2 Diagnosis

Martysw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All In march I was told I have t2 and hypertension been hypertensive since before 2017 when I was initally diag with Hypertension - The drs have stuck me on a bunch of meds normally i take meds in sugar free soda as I can not take tablets due to mental block and autism the Dr's refuse to listen and have both times stuck me on SR Metformin which I can not take and I am at a loss as to what to do so any handy suggestions please last check was 95 hb1

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome @Martysw
This really is an issue you need to discuss with your doctor, but I wonder if it would be possible for you to be prescribed a liquid form of the medication?
Metformin is available as a liquid, and perhaps if your doctor won’t help, you could seek a second opinion.

• Informative
Reactions: ianf0ster

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My son has autism (not diabetic) and ge struggles swallowing meds too. He’s ok if they can be crushed but he has had liquid in the past but I had to push hard for them, apparently liquid suspension drugs are far more expensive than tablet form so GPS can be reluctant to prescribe them. Do you see anyone in connection with your autism? Or someone who can advocate for you?

If your comfortable speaking for yourself and you can’t get your GP to acknowledge how you struggle then perhaps you could speak to PALS, you can request this through your surgery - the link below is the NHS info on how PALS works and how to access them

• Informative
Reactions: Pipp

Martysw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I send a msg to GP using askmy and they said it is 2week backlog so will see what they say in a few weeks I guess

• Hug
Reactions: lovinglife

Martysw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay so the nurse/pharmacist rang back last Monday so 11 days ago and said they would investigate options but I have heard nothing since I need to get my HB1 lower as due and operation and they will not do it until I'm under 69hba last check was 95 and before that 85 and before that 95 so something in the middle was in my favour - I am going to try low carbs diet going forward but unsure what to do about Dr's as they seem very hostile on doing anything re meds the nurse did say they can't make any promises but I know there are different forms availble