Recently diagnosed with type2 in December 2023 with a HBA1C of 98mmol/mol

Type2Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP suggested going straight onto Metformin. I refused because i knew diet had been bad and had low activity levels in latter part of 2023 due to surgery and i wanted to try lifestyle changes to see if i could control without medication. 3 months later after increased activity and diet changes, HBA1C is at 65mmol/mol. Is it worth sticking with diet only to get down to target levels or accept advise of GP? Thanks :)

SlimType2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

I'm in a similar situation - in Jan 2024 I was given a HBA1C of 116 mmol/mol.
Startling and alarmed, the doctors said that i needed to be on 4 tablets a day but that would need to be titrated up with time.

I was told that because my height and weight do not resemble a Type 2 Diabetic, there was no chance of me gaining remission.

I began taking one tablet a day and did NOT titrate upwards - instead tried increasing my activity level and made significant dietary changes.
Did a HBA1C at the middle of February and it had gone down to 79 mmol/mol.

So I decided to carry on with only one tablet a day.

My opinion: Carry on sticking to your diet to get your levels down. It will demonstrate to them that your body can regulate itself and you will be classified as someone who has placed their diabetes into remission (which is a great place to be). Else, they'll just say that its the meds that did the work.

Hope that this is helpful!

• Winner
Reactions: Pipp and JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Congratulations on a job well done! Excellent work getting your numbers lower in such a relatively short time. Can I ask what diet you're on? You seem rather sporty, so maybe there's room to cut more carbs and up the protein, so your numbers drop further but you keep up muscle-tone. If that's something you want to try, of course. If you're happy with the way things are going, by all means, stick with it and see what happens next... If you plateau, you can always make changes later, and then diet changes can still be a first stop rather than medication. But for the moment, I'd say, you've done well and I have every faith you'll continue to do so.

Yay, you! :)
Jo

• Friendly
Reactions: Pipp

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin and Atorvastatin had dreadful side effects for me - I stopped them as I was considering topping myself and did HbA1c of 91 to 41 in 6 months, but that was eating low carb with a vengeance.

Type2Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

I'm in a similar situation - in Jan 2024 I was given a HBA1C of 116 mmol/mol.
Startling and alarmed, the doctors said that i needed to be on 4 tablets a day but that would need to be titrated up with time.

I was told that because my height and weight do not resemble a Type 2 Diabetic, there was no chance of me gaining remission.

I began taking one tablet a day and did NOT titrate upwards - instead tried increasing my activity level and made significant dietary changes.
Did a HBA1C at the middle of February and it had gone down to 79 mmol/mol.

So I decided to carry on with only one tablet a day.

My opinion: Carry on sticking to your diet to get your levels down. It will demonstrate to them that your body can regulate itself and you will be classified as someone who has placed their diabetes into remission (which is a great place to be). Else, they'll just say that its the meds that did the work.

Hope that this is helpful!
Thank you. Its good to know that diet is working for you. Keep it up :)

Type2Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin and Atorvastatin had dreadful side effects for me - I stopped them as I was considering topping myself and did HbA1c of 91 to 41 in 6 months, but that was eating low carb with a vengeance.
Thanks for the info. Well done on getting it all under control. That is a real challenge :)

Type2Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on a job well done! Excellent work getting your numbers lower in such a relatively short time. Can I ask what diet you're on? You seem rather sporty, so maybe there's room to cut more carbs and up the protein, so your numbers drop further but you keep up muscle-tone. If that's something you want to try, of course. If you're happy with the way things are going, by all means, stick with it and see what happens next... If you plateau, you can always make changes later, and then diet changes can still be a first stop rather than medication. But for the moment, I'd say, you've done well and I have every faith you'll continue to do so.

Yay, you! :)
Jo
Thank you. My downfall was chocolate and processed carbs. Eliminated these and ate brown rice / pasta & wholemeal bread instead of white alternatives. I never get on with diets as i haven't got the discipline to stick to them. Also reduced portion sizes and increased berries and veg intake. With exercise i am trying to hit 10k steps a day plus around 5 to 6 hours of cycling a week. Thanks :)

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi, I can’t take metformin , how did you manage it

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That leaves plenty of wriggle-room, should you ever need it, but you're off to a flying start. If you ever need to tweak things, give a shout on here and details on what your average meals look like, maybe we can help some with workable (and tasty) alternatives and whatnot. A diet to keep diabetes under control is a long-term thing, potentially, so it's something that absolutely has to suit your tastes, lifestyle and over-all needs, otherwise it's not going to work for an extended period of time. That's why some people go for diet, others for a combination of diet and medication, others medication-only... There is no real "wrong" way to do things, though the bulk of us here can come across like low carb zealots at times... We just get a bit over-enthused sometimes. ;) Take your time, see what works for you and what doesn't, and if we can help with anything, we're right here if you need us. Oh, and you might want to start testing around meals. If you test before you eat and 2 hours after the first bite, you're aiming for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l between those two points. Preferably less, of course. If you keep that up, your over-all blood sugars (HbA1c, if you will), will keep on coming down too, and it'll let you know whether your body could cope with a certain meal/amount or no.

One thing I have to share with you at this point, though, as a fellow chocoholic.... If you can keep it at a square, maybe two a day... Try an extra dark chocolate. Might require some getting used to, but as you're reducing sugars, your palette might be open to very, very dark chocolate like Lindt 85 or higher. (I'm currently at 100%, and they don't make my tongue curl up in bitter misery anymore, and they don't mess with my blood sugars!). Just a little tip. ;)

Good luck and keep it up!
Jo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I can’t take metformin , how did you manage it
I can take Metformin - as in swallow it - it is the explosive faecal incontinence which made me chuck the lot in the bin.
To be in normal numbers I stick to low carb eating. No high carb, (over 10% carb content) foods and I tested my blood glucose after eating.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

RayCox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. My downfall was chocolate and processed carbs. Eliminated these and ate brown rice / pasta & wholemeal bread instead of white alternatives. I never get on with diets as i haven't got the discipline to stick to them. Also reduced portion sizes and increased berries and veg intake. With exercise i am trying to hit 10k steps a day plus around 5 to 6 hours of cycling a week. Thanks :)
I like the idea of low/no carbohydrates. Bread rice pasta have a lot of carbohydrates . I do have trouble following it . Have to eat what I get given some time.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Mine was 100 percent a couple of weeks ago my HBA1C as I had a DKA but it's seems to be going down anyway and I kind of going by my last blood test the hospital took and when I was in hospital my sugars were high and within a day of being released my sugars started to crash into hypos so now I'm not taking much insulin to compensate for it and now the hospital is talking about putting me on a pump to sort it out even more and I'm now just watching my sugars like a hawk on the Libre so that I'm always above what I need to be before they drop again so now I think it will have dropped down my HBA1C now