Recommendations for high fat source?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I am starting keto again because I have been devastated by long covid, ME/CFS and being morbidly obese need to reduce my inflammation asap.

I am looking for the cheapest possible fatty long life food/meat to eat as I have also lost work activity and my income has massively reduced.

Do you have any recommendations?

Unfortunately no cheese is palatable at large amounts and without something like bread etc so I am looking at deli meat.
Most of these are not very healthy either so it would be great if there is any hugely fatty meat that can have long shelf life? Something like cured pancetta etc?
Fatty fish tins are great but cannot eat them every day.
Cream is good but also not very palatable to replace a meal.
(unfortunately I cannot cook much although any quick microwave would be okay)

• Hug
Reactions: Goonergal

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a freezer? If so, no need to buy processed foods or worry about shelf life - buy cuts of real meat (cheap ones are fine and usually have more fat) and also cook with as much olive oil and/or butter as you enjoy.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
great if there is any hugely fatty meat that can have long shelf life
unfortunately I cannot cook much although any quick microwave would be okay
I’d suggest investing in a cheap slow cooker. Then you can put fatty cuts of meat in to cook very slowly. Minimal effort - literally a bit of liquid (which can be water), add salt and leave until you’re ready.

Tinned corned beef is pretty fatty, lasts for ages and is also tasty hot or cold.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am adapting to using a microwave to save energy costs. I had to invest in a steamer pot (99p) and a bacon crisper (£1.75) and a meat thermometer (expensive at $4.50) but necessary for safety when cooking meat. I use lard as my added fat as it keeps for ages. Its a bit more fiddly than the one pot cooking I used to use but its quicker. I am planning stirfry tonight.

Reactions: Rabdos

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Avocado doesn't need cooking.
Belly pork, just get a joint put it in the oven, slow cook on 160 until cooked and finish off with a 200 blast for 20. All done and should last a good day or two. Skirt (beef) is also a very good slow casserole cook. Tastes great and isn't too expensive.

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Minced beef is my go to and I’m no longer picking up the lean one so cheaper. Cook with water onions and veg, bit of oxo and salt, easy or with tin tomatoes onions mushrooms oxo and seasoning for bolognese without the pasta

Reactions: AloeSvea

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cook with full fat dripping, similar to what my local butcher sells reasonably cheap at $3.50 a container.

KZOSsbq.jpg

Reactions: Lainie71 and Rabdos

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Chicken thighs have a higher fat content than chicken breast and are a little cheaper to buy.

Also have you considered making some fat bombs if you google them you will find many cheap recipies for them.

Reactions: Lainie71

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Olive oil and butter may seem expensive but you only need small amounts to add both fat and flavour.
Homemade flavoured butter works well.
Put a block of soft butter in a processor, add mjnced garlic, herbs, spices, lemon to taste and whizz it all up. (Or beat it in a bowl by hand). Then divide into small portions and freeze, an ice cube tray works well for this.
You could divide the butter an do 2 flavours at once

Then you have instant fat and flavour whenever you need to to jazz up sausages, mince or eggs

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Olive oil and butter may seem expensive but you only need small amounts to add both fat and flavour.
Homemade flavoured butter works well.
Put a block of soft butter in a processor, add mjnced garlic, herbs, spices, lemon to taste and whizz it all up. (Or beat it in a bowl by hand). Then divide into small portions and freeze, an ice cube tray works well for this.
You could divide the butter an do 2 flavours at once

Then you have instant fat and flavour whenever you need to to jazz up sausages, mince or eggs
I'm going to remember that one. I have been waiting for my Avocados to ripen on my window sill as I only like them warm. The olive oil and butter sounds nice.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In a previous life for another condition an NHS dietician recommended ' cream with everything' as a source of fat/calories.

Still following her advice now