Recovery from illness

Markholl1

Hi all

New to the boards, diagnosed for a couple of years. I've been ill a couple of times this year and whilst my family and colleagues recover from illness (norovirus, colds, food poisoning or diarrhea etc.) within a reasonable time, I've found that it has taken me up to 10 times as long to recover (with all the requisite time off, discomfort)
I've been on the DAFNE course and my bloods when not ill are getting much better. I'm also reasonably good when on sick day rules.

Is this normal for a Type 1 diabetic and should I expect this? Also always seem to get what's going, whereas previously would not.

cheers for any responses
M

Magill

Dislikes
Some of the "candidates" in the Apprentice - I would never have employed some of the nasty individuals that pop up as potential employees in this show. If they are the best on offer then heaven help us!
Hi There

I'm a Type II but like you when I get ill I get very ill! I can honestly say that even a simple cold absolutely floors me. Recently, I had some kind of winter sickness bug and my readings went through the roof (well for me it was through the roof), Biggest spike was at 16.2 but happily it is sorting itself out but it had taken 5 weeks of hard work to lower and stabilise my bloods. Also, more often than not you catch everything.

It is the rocketing readings that get me and I have to really cut the carbs to get back on track.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. I am also a Type 2 and I find any illness knocks me for six or i get really, really ill.

In the past 19 months I had a cold, which turned to bronchitis. I was ill for 8 weeks. Then 6 months later a snuffle turned into pneumonia.

bjpryde

Dislikes
liars and cold callers
has anybody suffered from diabetic frozen sholders i,ve just recovered from two of them three years it took to recover the worse three years ever,pain, no sleep,lost my job, would,nt wish it on nobody.