Reeses peanut butter cup low carb or not

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi there,

I have been on low carb for a while now which is going well so far but as any human being I crave 'sweet' from time to time. I love the reeses peanut butter cup but I get confused, some consider it as a low carb snack others don't. What do you think?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
a few pieces of nice 70+% (the higher the better) cocoa dark chocolate might do the trick?

D

Deleted Account

There are two things to consider
- total amount of carbs
- how fast (and how far) your BG rises

100g of Reeses peanut butter cup contains 55g of carbs.
But would you eat this many? A standard packet is 51g. How many cups would you consider eating? A whole packet would smash your low carb diet. But, if you are going to eat just one, this would have less impact on the total carbs in a day.

Most food which is high sugar is absorbed quickly by your body so is likely to cause a high spike in your BG.
I suspect reeses peanut butter cup is one of these types of food.
However, due to the fat in sugar, the sugar absorption may be delayed.

So, when looking at the percentage of carbs in reeses peanut butter cup, they are not low carb.
However, if you can trust yourself to have only one or two, it may be worthwhile trying them out and checking your BG for the impact they have.
Be prepared to throw out most of the packet if their affect is too great.

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

I have been on low carb for a while now which is going well so far but as any human being I crave 'sweet' from time to time. I love the reeses peanut butter cup but I get confused, some consider it as a low carb snack others don't. What do you think?

I think I sometimes treat myself to a square of Lindt 70% cocoa solid choc with a teasp of no sugar peanut butter on top.
It isn't as sweet as one of those Reeses cups, but it is better quality ingredients, and boy does it hit the spot.
Love it!

:D

Reactions: tonyooi and hankjam

maria030660

Dislikes
Love the home made cups. So far I was able to resist the reeses ones and if I have to just one cup. My bg is perfect and I want to keep it that way. Especially now I am older and have been a type 1 for decades. What else you eat when the craving becomes too strong?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love the home made cups. So far I was able to resist the reeses ones and if I have to just one cup. My bg is perfect and I want to keep it that way. Especially now I am older and have been a type 1 for decades. What else you eat when the craving becomes too strong?
Remember that low carb is (by definition) a daily carb intake of 130g or less. How you choose to comprise that total is up to you.

I low carb from time to time but split my allowance across two meals. So I'm low carbing in effect, yet it doesn't limit my foods.

How the foods impact your BG is another matter entirely, yet as a T1 you can be clever with how you use your bolus insulin to give good results by limiting post prandial highs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

This lady does lots of fabulous LC cooking. She's incredibly inventive. I have had this saved in my CopyMeThat folder for ages, but the urge never really takes over, but one day I'll do it.

https://twosleevers.com/recipes/pressure-cooker-recipes/instant-pot-keto-ricotta-lemon-cheesecake/

maria030660

Dislikes
I try to stay around 50 grams of carbohydrates as I want to lose some kilos

Mark_1

A spoonful of peanut butter would be my alternative.

Is one jellybean low carb, how about 2.
I eat poppadoms which are 40% carbs but only about 3 carbs each.
Quavers 60% about 10 carbs a standard size bag, I don't eat these.
A low carb diet could be 10 bags of quavers a day, but not all carbs are equal.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A spoonful of peanut butter would be my alternative.

Is one jellybean low carb, how about 2.
I eat poppadoms which are 40% carbs but only about 3 carbs each.
Quavers 60% about 10 carbs a standard size bag, I don't eat these.
A low carb diet could be 10 bags of quavers a day, but not all carbs are equal.
Fully agree, it's what makes your allowance "low carb" depending on your constraints, limits and targets.

I think many/most here have forgotten than low carb is not simply a case of rock bottom carbs and sky high fat. In fact - I had a low carb day with bran flakes, a cheese and ham sandwich, a packet of cheese and onion crisps and an apple. See, the LC diet is entirely flexible and should be advertised as so:)

Hotpepper20000

While I'm type 2 and understand it differs with type one.
But for some type twos and for me for sure not all carbs are created equal.
Any grains and legumes spike my BG.
10 grams of leafy greens, Mushrooms, or tomatoes will maybe put my BG up 1 point. The same amount with bread or rice will spike me at least three ponts.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own chocolate mousse! Tesco's sell a 90% chocolate bar which I melt down with some butter, I whisk some cream with a couple of eggs and then fold in the chocolate. Chill in the fridge for mousse or cook in the oven for chocolate brownies.
It makes loads so you will have some for later.

I also accidentally discovered (when trying to make a smoothie) a lovely fruity mousse too. In the blender I put some blueberries, raspberry and strawberries (a few of each) I added a couple of large table spoons of natural yoghurt (desi is good) and a drizzle of cream. I then blended them together... instead of a smoothie (which I prepared for) I ended up with a mousse type thing which was actually better. It didn't do much to my Bgl and was fresh and yummy.

I too love the Reese's cups... but I just keep a jar of peanut butter and when I get the urge for something and nothing is made a spoon of the stuff is very fulfilling... but the sound of the home made stuff is making my mouth water.

Me thinks a trip to Tesco's is needed!!!

Damtov8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make my own Peanut Butter Fat Bombs:

35g coconut oil
35g butter
70g peanut butter
1 tbsp cacao powder unsweetened
30g pecans
Stevia

Melt & Mix & pour over pecans
30 mins freeze
Makes:
14 pieces:

Total:
Carbs 8g / fat 132g / protein 22g

Each piece:
Carbs 0.6 / fat 9.42g / protein 1.57g

1 portion = 2 pieces

Carbs 1.2g / fat 18.84g / protein 3.14g

Reactions: Lynnzhealth

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While I'm type 2 and understand it differs with type one.
But for some type twos and for me for sure not all carbs are created equal.
Any grains and legumes spike my BG.
10 grams of leafy greens, Mushrooms, or tomatoes will maybe put my BG up 1 point. The same amount with bread or rice will spike me at least three ponts.

I'm a recent T2 and I found that grains, etc, spiked me up too much. So, I started the Keto plan and my BG is very consistent, with the odd little spike for whatever reason. I avoid all grains, sugar, legumes, and stick to salads, meat/chicken/fish, and other Keto recipes. Especially the treats. Love my treats. Glad I found Keto.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This lady does lots of fabulous LC cooking. She's incredibly inventive. I have had this saved in my CopyMeThat folder for ages, but the urge never really takes over, but one day I'll do it.

https://twosleevers.com/recipes/pressure-cooker-recipes/instant-pot-keto-ricotta-lemon-cheesecake/

I use recipes from this site, too. They are actually quite good. If I didn't have my treats I don't think I could stick to the Keto plan, or any plan for that matter. I was a sugar/flour addict, I'm sure. The only thing about it is I can't find a good bread that will toast properly, like real flour bread. I miss my toast. And, I miss a good tea biscuit/scone. I've tried some, however, can't quite compare to the real thing.