Refused blood testing equipment

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm extremely wary of buying anything health related off Amazon and especially ebay, there's far to much counterfeit stuff out there in interweb land. I don't really mind paying for extra strips, especially if that frees up budget so somebody else who can't afford them might get them free.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
For some people, they are the only options ! I agree Ebay is not the best choice but as long as they are sealed up should be OK.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mickey121

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can buy on line at the diabetes uk shop,have you tried Boots chemist you can print off an online form to get them vat free

Lozzybabyw

Thank you Damien:)
I went on the site only for it to say that service they provided is now closed!:-( It looks like they did a good thing too. It gives an email to enquire... I have spoken to a few different diabetes care people on getting the meter& strips, but they all say because I'm not on medication & it's diet /exercise controlled, I wouldn't be assisted in this. I had a follow on foot check & learnt a lot on that care too today.. The podiatrist also said it's difficult as Type 2 no medication don't get anything other than eye, feet & blood& ketones tests to check levels every so often... I've had eye & foot & ketones... bloods at the start too. Feet will be through my podiatrist from now on too. I'm stuck between being over on the sugar carbs & under at the moment.I cut the sugar & getting there with the carbs too, but then I feel ill,so need sugar/carb.. Oh what fun! It's a yoyo.. I'm thankful I'm not worse than I am still & At least I am getting some levels of care & not totally on my own;-) Onwards &upwards

RosieRose

Unless I am missing something, the Nice Guidelines state that self monitoring is recommended as part of a total care package (National clinical guideline for management in primary and secondary care (update) page 51):

RECOMMENDATIONS
R22 Offer self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes only
as an integral part of his or her self-management education. Discuss its purpose and agree how
it should be interpreted and acted upon.
R23 Self-monitoring of plasma glucose should be available:
_ to those on insulin treatment
_ to those on oral glucose lowering medications to provide information on hypoglycaemia
_ to assess changes in glucose control resulting from medications and lifestyle changes
_ to monitor changes during intercurrent illness
_ to ensure safety during activities, including driving.
R24 Assess at least annually and in a structured way:
_ self-monitoring skills
_ the quality and appropriate frequency of testing
_ the use made of the results obtained
_ the impact on quality of life
_ the continued benefit
_ the equipment used.
R25 If self-monitoring is appropriate but blood glucose monitoring is unacceptable to the
individual, discuss the use of urine glucose monitoring.