Regaining weight and muscle mass

wanden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Im new to this.

I was diagnosed with T2 at the end of last year and have been taking Metformin sine December. This seems to have got my blood sugar levels consistently in the 6 to 7 range.

As a result of my T2 I have lost a fair amount of weight and noticeably in muscles. Despite regular eating and swimming the muscles don't seem to get any bigger and the weight is still lower than I would like, and I constantly get comments - "you've changed and lost weight" which gets old quickly.

Can anyone share similar a similar experience and how to fix these issues.

Thanks.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Im new to this.

I was diagnosed with T2 at the end of last year and have been taking Metformin sine December. This seems to have got my blood sugar levels consistently in the 6 to 7 range.

As a result of my T2 I have lost a fair amount of weight and noticeably in muscles. Despite regular eating and swimming the muscles don't seem to get any bigger and the weight is still lower than I would like, and I constantly get comments - "you've changed and lost weight" which gets old quickly.

Can anyone share similar a similar experience and how to fix these issues.

Thanks.
Although I'm not T2, I also lost a significant amount of muscle mass and fat pre-diagnosis as a direct result of chronically high BG. Do you think that was the case with yourself also?

Maintaining steady BG in the recommended target ranges allowed my body to put back on what it had lost. And this seemed to happen relatively quickly.

Have your eating habits changed, could you give some info into what your current diet is like? With regards to the weight loss, is the loss of fat a positive and is it just muscle mass you're looking to regain?

wanden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for getting back to me Grant.

When I had a blood test in June last year my HbA1c reading was 9.8%.

In December I was told the reading was 106. I have not had another test since so I am unsure what has happened since but as I said before, pre breakfast blood tests are generally showing readings in the 6 to 7 range.

Id like to think my diet is pretty good - Ive cut out bread, potatoes etc and cut down on fruit and no fruit juice at all. I aim to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have reduced intake of rice and pasta and when I do eat these I try to eat wholewheat. I do not drink sugary drinks, eat sweets or cakes and only drink the odd beer, preferring red wine or spirits without mixers - alcohol intake is not excessive. I do not each much red meat, preferring chicken or fish. Breakfast is oats with nuts and plain yoghurt with fresh fruit mainly watermelon and pineapple.

The weight loss is more noticeable in the muscle sizes which tend to make you look unwell. Im currently about 74 kg and height of 1.77m. I guess my previous weight would have been around 79kg with the loss taking place over about 2 years. I have never been over weight and I am active.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

In December I was told the reading was 106. I have not had another test since so I am unsure what has happened since but as I said before, pre breakfast blood tests are generally showing readings in the 6 to 7 range.

Id like to think my diet is pretty good - Ive cut out bread, potatoes etc and cut down on fruit and no fruit juice at all. I aim to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have reduced intake of rice and pasta and when I do eat these I try to eat wholewheat. I do not drink sugary drinks, eat sweets or cakes and only drink the odd beer, preferring red wine or spirits without mixers - alcohol intake is not excessive. I do not each much red meat, preferring chicken or fish. Breakfast is oats with nuts and plain yoghurt with fresh fruit mainly watermelon and pineapple.

The weight loss is more noticeable in the muscle sizes which tend to make you look unwell. Im currently about 74 kg and height of 1.77m. I guess my previous weight would have been around 79kg with the loss taking place over about 2 years. I have never been over weight and I am active.

Making a guess at your gender and age (apologies if I'm wrong on either or both counts, but age, in particular, provided one is a mature adult, makes little difference!), the NHS BMI calculator shows you still to be well within the normal weight range:

upload_2017-6-22_10-7-35.png

The url, shou;d you wish to repeat the test with absolutely accurate data is here: http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

Many people, when they have lost weight, comment others have commented, and not always in a complimentary way. Often people are just surprised by the loss, if they haven't seen you for some time, and others it is concern that nothing is going awry for you.

With T2, staying trim is a big weapon in our armoury against this condition, and if you are gaining weight it is important that you minimise the increase in your body's fat stores.

In your shoes, I might consider trying to stay level; no loss and no gain, for a few months and see how you both feel and look. When I trimmed up, I had never been grossly overweight, although I did have love handles, but the initial loss was fast and dramatic, and people did comment. Now they're used to seeing the trimmer me, they no longer say anything.

Of course, it's up to you how you tackle this, but please do keep an eye on your percentage body fat and visceral fat scores if you do elect to gain weight. They are at least as important as the number on the dial for overall weight, bearing in mind you seem to be in the healthy BMI range.

BMI isn't the perfect metric for body health, but for those not at the edges of the extremes (strength athletes and very small people), it is a fair rule of thumb.

centaur68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi Wanden.
have you tried supplements & upping weight training routines ?
I'm recently diagnosed T2, on Metformin & have started LCHF lifestyle (not diet) lost a bit of weight but more noticeable, lost some abdo fat/ lovehandles..
I'm same, don't want to lose much weight just fat loss so have increased my exercise trying to get back to muscle mass/tone I had a few years ago, since training & back to using whey protein, creatine, BCAA my weight loss has levelled, fat burning continuing & muscle tone / strength returning.. good thing is it hadn't affected my BG, although I appreciate everyone's different..
good luck

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Seems like you're doing everything right @wanden, especially with your dietary changes; as far as managing T2 goes.

Your fasting BG isn't bad at all, and I'm sure at your next HbA1c test you'll see a large reduction from your December reading of 106mmol/mol.

Regarding your weight loss, 4kg is negligible providing that a large proportion of that loss came from body fat. It's entirely possible to loose muscle mass through chronically high BG's, which an HbA1c of 9.8% (83mmol/mol) would suggest.

As for putting muscle back on, I can only suggest regular exercise, weight/resistance training and matching your protein intake against that recommended for your weight.

In my experience, putting on muscle mass is a slow process and because of that, it's often easy to not actually see your gains.

wanden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Seems like you're doing everything right @wanden, especially with your dietary changes; as far as managing T2 goes.

Your fasting BG isn't bad at all, and I'm sure at your next HbA1c test you'll see a large reduction from your December reading of 106mmol/mol.

Regarding your weight loss, 4kg is negligible providing that a large proportion of that loss came from body fat. It's entirely possible to loose muscle mass through chronically high BG's, which an HbA1c of 9.8% (83mmol/mol) would suggest.

As for putting muscle back on, I can only suggest regular exercise, weight/resistance training and matching your protein intake against that recommended for your weight.

In my experience, putting on muscle mass is a slow process and because of that, it's often easy to not actually see your gains.
Thanks for your comments - reassuring - so looks like Im going to have to go to the gym and gnc more.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Did your doctor or nurse net tell you that your Hba1c result was very high?
It was high a year ago, and had gone even higher six months ago.
Are you testing before and after meals to see if you are still high?
You seem to be consuming some high carb items, it would be wise to check just what they are doing to you, and perhaps get another blood test done.

wanden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi Wanden.
have you tried supplements & upping weight training routines ?
I'm recently diagnosed T2, on Metformin & have started LCHF lifestyle (not diet) lost a bit of weight but more noticeable, lost some abdo fat/ lovehandles..
I'm same, don't want to lose much weight just fat loss so have increased my exercise trying to get back to muscle mass/tone I had a few years ago, since training & back to using whey protein, creatine, BCAA my weight loss has levelled, fat burning continuing & muscle tone / strength returning.. good thing is it hadn't affected my BG, although I appreciate everyone's different..
good luck
Thank you for your comments - no I have not tried supplements or weight training but I will give them a go now.

wanden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did your doctor or nurse net tell you that your Hba1c result was very high?
It was high a year ago, and had gone even higher six months ago.
Are you testing before and after meals to see if you are still high?
You seem to be consuming some high carb items, it would be wise to check just what they are doing to you, and perhaps get another blood test done.
Yes I was told it was very high particularly visibly when I attended the NHS lecture on diabetes and compared my levels to other attendees. I haven't had a follow up blood test since December but will get one done soon. I will also start doing before and after meals tests again. Ive really changed my diet since December so hopefully there should be a big difference.
Thanks for your comments .

centaur68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
you definitely need weight training to put on muscle mass / toning up.
supplements really help but aren't for everyone, try & see how it goes..
maximuscle are good but expensive for what they are, Phd/USN etc not bad.

wheys are pretty much standard but some can affect stomach, creatine definitely helps strength & I've found best ones are effervescent (no loading doses/time on & off)
BCAA (branch chain amino acids) help protein synthesis & push nutrients into muscle tissue helping muscle recovery therefore growth.
L-carnitine is also excellent for fat loss & building muscle mass.

go to a gym, get advice from them, there's LOADS of supplements out there, you don't need all of them but the main 3 would be whey/creatine/BCAA.

good luck & if you need any help, I'll try & answer it, however I must stress I'm not a qualified instructor, just in & out of gyms for years.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings. I've never been overweight but I did have a small spare tyre, which I lost along with muscle mass when I cut down on carbs. However I can still do all the physical jobs I need to do, being retired, and being old as well I can just ask for help if it comes to shifting a bag of cement. Since I have a mild heart condition it's more important to me to keep my blood sugar level and weight down and exercise regularly than to put on muscle. Horses for courses and good luck.

wanden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
you definitely need weight training to put on muscle mass / toning up.
supplements really help but aren't for everyone, try & see how it goes..
maximuscle are good but expensive for what they are, Phd/USN etc not bad.

wheys are pretty much standard but some can affect stomach, creatine definitely helps strength & I've found best ones are effervescent (no loading doses/time on & off)
BCAA (branch chain amino acids) help protein synthesis & push nutrients into muscle tissue helping muscle recovery therefore growth.
L-carnitine is also excellent for fat loss & building muscle mass.

go to a gym, get advice from them, there's LOADS of supplements out there, you don't need all of them but the main 3 would be whey/creatine/BCAA.

good luck & if you need any help, I'll try & answer it, however I must stress I'm not a qualified instructor, just in & out of gyms for years.
Many thanks for your comments - I will try.

wanden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Greetings. I've never been overweight but I did have a small spare tyre, which I lost along with muscle mass when I cut down on carbs. However I can still do all the physical jobs I need to do, being retired, and being old as well I can just ask for help if it comes to shifting a bag of cement. Since I have a mild heart condition it's more important to me to keep my blood sugar level and weight down and exercise regularly than to put on muscle. Horses for courses and good luck.
thank you for sharing your comments.

centaur68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
no worries Wanden.
you don't need to be a bodybuilder to benefit from supplements, simple toning up & improving strength..
forgot to say, AMsport is the range I use, very good quality & reasonable prices, couple of guys at work are sponsored by them for their CrossFit.. definitely recommend looking at them if you do go down the supplement route. good luck

wanden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
no worries Wanden.
you don't need to be a bodybuilder to benefit from supplements, simple toning up & improving strength..
forgot to say, AMsport is the range I use, very good quality & reasonable prices, couple of guys at work are sponsored by them for their CrossFit.. definitely recommend looking at them if you do go down the supplement route. good luck
thanks for the tip. I will have a look for them.