rejected because of diabetic

Hi everyone, I am Nur and 38 years old and stay in Brunei Darussalam. Yesterday i flew to neighbor country for Thier Company Medical Check-up. thus, this was done at one of the Subsidiaries MALAYSIA AIRLINE'S company for a post of "Ground Operation Officer' and i was REJECTED send home straight away WITH reason: DIABETIC PERSON ARE NOT SUITABLE AND ACCEPTABLE TO JOIN OUR COMPANY !!!! i was totally shock because the doctor did checked my sugar level (after i my 2 hours lunch meal) it was shown as 7.4. i only take my pills everyday at 7am (methfomin)1 tablet twice a day.
So now, i am lost... i dont knw who to turn to and how to fight for my right. as if i ahd HIV or AIDS and not accepted???????

please.. help me ..are there any article or professional doctors who can sent me to my email (address removed please reply on this forum or by PM) or foward me anything so that i can send or foward back to the person in-charge bout diabetic person are CAPABLE to work until they are proven SICK and UN FIT??
I need the job so badly... an i knew i am fit and healthy accept the lack of information bout diabetic and employment system knowledge. help me :(

AMBrennan

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately I cannot give you any advice (e.g. Diabetes UK has some information but that won't help you).

Having said that, however, there are blanket bans for people with diabetes working in certain fields (e.g. Amed forces, pilots, etc).

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, don't know how to proceed, but I suspect you need to check both international health regulations for airline industry jobs as well as Malaysian Airlines and Brunei specific regulations - assuming you will be working in Brunei?

M.Diriye

Dear Nur,

Please don't lose hope! Just because you are diabetic doesn't mean your not fit to work. You maybe should clarify with them how the condition effects you? Maybe they are just assuming things about diabetes without knowing. As someone mentioned, you may want to refer to their employment policies to sort the issue out.

Dont give up.