Retinal check up

jade88

Hi ladies,
So just had a retinal screening to check my eyes and for the first time in 7 years there has been some change! They didn't seem overly concerned but I only had them checked in March so it's definitely the pregnancy that's affecting them!
I'm just a little worried because I'm only 14 weeks and don't want them to get any worse! So far my bloods have been really good so don't know what else I can do!
Anyone had any experience with retinal problems caused by pregnancy? xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, I didnt, Jade, but in the check after giving birth they did find two little spots ( background changes). They said this was fine and that most women had more signs of the pregnancy in their eyes after giving birth.

So changes must be quite common during pregnancy, by the sound of that.

I did ask the eye guy if I'd done anything wrong in pregnancy, and he said the most important things were keeping good control and keeping your blood pressure down and I had so hadnt done anything wrong.

If your eye check people didn't seem too bothered then I wouldn't be either. They're very keen on eye health so if it was a problem they would have said something. Just keep going to every eye check appointment they send you, and keep on with your good control.

I know it must be worrying for you, but having some small changes doesn't automatically mean your eyes will get worse. Little changes in pregnancy aren't uncommon. That's why they screen everyone.

If you're still worrying, could you check with your GP or maybe phone the eye service? Hopefully, they'd put your mind at rest.

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also experienced change in my eyes when I was pregnant , no one was concerned either they just monitored me a bit more often to make sure it didn't get to bad , I was also told it was due to the pregnancy and hormones and to expect change .
Since I've had my little man I have had my eyes checked again and there is now no concern just the background change I have always had . So it doesn't always mean it's going to stay that way .

xxx

Reactions: 2 people