Type 1 Retinopathy/Maculopathy

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I have been type one diabetic for 26 years and have always been fairly well controlled.

I have never had any problems, which I was hoping would last for a while longer.

Until, my eye appointment this year. He diagnosed a tiny clot, and a very small spot on the macular (same eye).

After this appointment I have had some changes to my eye. I feel the vision is blurry in parts and both eyes at times feel tired/strained. I have had a floater too. I am unable to read at a distance as it’s not clear enough.

I have an eye check at Specsavers next week. I also think I’m going to have to phone the hospital and go and see the eye doctor!

But obviously I’m terrified for what this means!!! Is it the start of a slippery slope? I’ve tried my hardest to remain fit and healthy. I run 3x a week and try my absolute hardest with my management. And I’m freaking out a bit!

What could this be? What is the treatment? Have I failed

Reactions: eventhorizon

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 29 years ago but it was later thought that I was a late onset Type 1. Anyway, all the eye checks have shown that over the last ten years or so I have been diagnosed with diabetic maculopathy and cataracts as well as small bleeds and floaters that come and go. One day I kept trying to swat a cloud of little flies until i realised they were floaters but it's usually only one or two. As for the bleeds, sometimes they can re-absorb on their own. They found quite a few bleeds around the edges of my eye but not in the middle and it eventually came to laser treatment. I have had about three sessions, not at all uncomfortable, the last session I gave up counting after 200 flashes! They did talk of injections in my eyes but thankfully that hasn't happened yet. Good luck with trying to see a hospital eye doctor, apart from the yearly pictures in a different department I haven't seen the consultant for about three years yet it used to be every six months.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You most definitely have not failed!! I'm 24 years since my T1 diagnosis and for the last 12 years I have background retinopathy at each checkup. Even the tiniest bleed is noted and often it's gone by the next time they check. But where eyes are concerned they seem to throw an abundance of caution at them, which can seem alarming although I'm very grateful. I even had 4 zaps of the laser 4 years ago and everything has been stable since. Try not to worry.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hello,

I have been type one diabetic for 26 years and have always been fairly well controlled.

I have never had any problems, which I was hoping would last for a while longer.

Until, my eye appointment this year. He diagnosed a tiny clot, and a very small spot on the macular (same eye).

After this appointment I have had some changes to my eye. I feel the vision is blurry in parts and both eyes at times feel tired/strained. I have had a floater too. I am unable to read at a distance as it’s not clear enough.

I have an eye check at Specsavers next week. I also think I’m going to have to phone the hospital and go and see the eye doctor!

But obviously I’m terrified for what this means!!! Is it the start of a slippery slope? I’ve tried my hardest to remain fit and healthy. I run 3x a week and try my absolute hardest with my management. And I’m freaking out a bit!

What could this be? What is the treatment? Have I failed
Try not to panic. I had a total of 7 primitive laser treatments in both eyes from 1979-83 having been diagnosed in 1959. I still have decent vision, drive, read, write and type! Good luck!