Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
There's a difference between "halted" and "reversed". That last term infuriates me as it implies you NO LONGER have the condition. Garbage

M

Member496333

I think the bigger question that encompass all of this for me, is would I want to go back to a “normal” diet? Personally, the answer to that question is a most definite no. I enjoy food now more than I ever did pre-diabetes. Everything tastes delicious, I have boundless energy throughout the day, my mind is sharper, I’m never bloated or gassy, I sleep sounder and I’m far happier with my life overall. In many ways I’m pleased that I developed diabetes so that I was able to discover a far better way of eating.

Obviously it’s not going to suit everyone but I’m perfectly content. I wouldn’t want to be able to “go back to normal”, so whether or not I could, is an entirely moot question :D

M

Member496333

I would argue that a full insulin assay carried out by even an unfamiliar doctor would show metabolic dysfunction. For some people a c peptide test or a fasting insulin test or even an OGGT would signal problems. We can see our bg at home, we can directly influence our HbA1c but insulin? Not many T2s are tested. Even Dr. Fung says that treating someone with hyperinsulinaemia with more insulin is just crazy but how many times have you had your insulin levels checked?

Yeah I’m aware of fasting insulin tests, but given that I’m insulin resistant, or was, and that my glucose control is perfect, I find it very difficult to imagine that I have elevated blood insulin concentrations at any time of day or night. Hyperinsulinemia surely cannot realistically be seen in a patient without accompanying hyperglycaemia? It’s possible to have hyperinsulinemia without hyperglycaemia, but I can’t think of a logical mechanism by which the reverse could be true.

EDIT: I think I probably ran away with myself there. I think what I meant to say was that the scenario you mention is surely only possible pre-diagnosis? If blood glucose levels plummet in someone who’s already insulin resistant and previously exhibited hyperglycaemia, that to me logically suggests that the insulin levels must be falling also. Sorry for the somewhat fuzzy logic but I hope I’m making sense :D

EDIT 2: for further clarity. If one doesn’t consume any carbohydrates other than vegetables, and doesn’t have hyperglycaemia, I can’t imagine they would have elevated insulin levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ziggy_w

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Yeah I’m aware of fasting insulin tests, but given that I’m insulin resistant, or was, and that my glucose control is perfect, I find it very difficult to imagine that I have elevated blood insulin concentrations at any time of day or night. Hyperinsulinemia surely cannot realistically be seen in a patient without accompanying hyperglycaemia? It’s possible to have hyperinsulinemia without hyperglycaemia, but I can’t think of a logical mechanism by which the reverse could be true.

EDIT: I think I probably ran away with myself there. I think what I meant to say was that the scenario you mention is surely only possible pre-diagnosis? If blood glucose levels plummet in someone who’s already insulin resistant and previously exhibited hyperglycaemia, that to me logically suggests that the insulin levels must be falling also. Sorry for the somewhat fuzzy logic but I hope I’m making sense :D

EDIT 2: for further clarity.

We can recover a measure of insulin sensitivity given time and the dietary regime that suits us as individuals however I remain unconvinced that a full recovery is within our grasp at this time. It matters little to me if I could fool an unfamiliar gp with non D numbers or not, I can never be undiagnosed and return to a 'normal' western diet. Only a non Diabetic can tolerate such levels and I would add that the aging process alone will change the state of play.

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

We can recover a measure of insulin sensitivity given time and the dietary regime that suits us as individuals however I remain unconvinced that a full recovery is within our grasp at this time. It matters little to me if I could fool an unfamiliar gp with non D numbers or not, I can never be undiagnosed and return to a 'normal' western diet. Only a non Diabetic can tolerate such levels and I would add that the aging process alone will change the state of play.

I certainly agree with your last point, with the caveat that non-diabetics become diabetic largely through eating the western diet we’re alluding to. Whether those people change before or after diagnosis is largely irrelevant in this context. In my mind not eating that diet now has the same effect as if I’d not eaten it to begin with. But anyway I’m splitting hairs and probably rambling :)

The great news that any newly diagnosed diabetic should take away from this, is that they certainly can regain full health if they stop eating the diet that caused them to become diabetic. The generally accepted prognosis that diebates will get progressively worse is most certainly false just so long as you don’t follow the NHS advice to eat even more carbohydrate. It continues to boggle my mind that in order to drastically improve your chances of beating diabetes, you have to eat the exact opposite of what your government tells you to. And then you see stories in the media with the NHS complaining about the costs of treating ‘fat & lazy’ diabetics. In my opinion it’s a travesty :(

Reactions: ziggy_w and Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I certainly agree with your last point, with the caveat that non-diabetics become diabetic largely through eating the western diet we’re alluding to. Whether those people change before or after diagnosis is largely irrelevant in this context. In my mind not eating that diet now has the same effect as if I’d not eaten it to begin with. But anyway I’m splitting hairs and probably rambling :)

The great news that any newly diagnosed diabetic should take away from this, is that they certainly can regain full health if they stop eating the diet that caused them to become diabetic. The generally accepted prognosis that diebates will get progressively worse is most certainly false just so long as you don’t follow the NHS advice to eat even more carbohydrate. It continues to boggle my mind that in order to drastically improve your chances of beating diabetes, you have to eat the exact opposite of what your government tells you to. And then you see stories in the media with the NHS complaining about the costs of treating ‘fat & lazy’ diabetics. In my opinion it’s a travesty :(

What we can achieve, I agree, but put in a slightly different way is a return to full health and a vast reduction in the risk of Diabetic complications. You mirror my own opinion on T2 being a 'chronic, progressive disease' in that it just does not have to be that way at all.

Richy 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told 2 wks ago on my annual check with the nurse that I have reversed T2 diabetes. It was a good feeling that all my hard work had paid off. I did it by diet and a lot of exercise and a loss of 6 stone and 6 pound. But the nurse said I will always be prone to T2 diabetes, if I gain the weight back or eat the poor diet I did before I will be ill again. So really it's more in remission than gone forever. But if I'm honest I'm so used to eating healthy and exercising I don't miss the chocolate,cake etc I'm just glad to be healthy again

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having a normal BG level, normal Hba1c - as near as possible, hopefully getting back to a normal weight are only going to happen, and be maintained because I eat a diet which is normal for me.
I don't want to live under the whims of nature, but I do want something more natural than the supermarket sourced foods which are considered normal.