Rising blood sugars whilst exercising

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sharing a couple graphs from recent workouts. I'll edit this post and provide a more thorough explanation shortly.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1453919385.835304.jpg

First graph: 45 minute run on the treadmill on this morning.
7:00 start time (blood sugar normal (100mg/dl equates to 5.6mmol/l)
7:15 odd dip for a short moment followed by 45 minutes of rising levels.
7:45- end time.
8:15 Back to normal

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1453919396.933080.jpg

Second Graph: 1 hr of heavy weight lifting followed by 30 minutes on treadmill

6:00- Start time; blood sugars rising due to dawn phenomenon
6:15-7:00- levels start to gradually fall.
7:00am- hop on treadmill; Immediate spike
7:30am- End time; levels start to drop to normal
8:00am- back to baseline

Notes: Heavy weight lifting (anaerobic) has the tendency to keep my levels consistent or raise them gradually. That's then followed by a very sharp drop ~30 minutes after finishing my workouts. The graph usually looks like a cliff.

Running seems to spike my levels within the first 30 minutes, but after that, they seem to level off. The graph usually looks like a hilltop as levels rise, peak, and then fall back down to normal.

Walking has little effect on my blood sugar levels. It's never caused a liver dumb and I've never noticed my graph change as a result from walking.

Last edited by a moderator:

MISTY10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So this is my real time battle with exercise highs !!

I set a low basal for 45 mins, was out for 1 hour 20 but ran for an hour when my normal evening basal kicked in.
So not normal to start on 18 !!! But just as well I did as you can see ....
Now I am back home giving regular bollus and increasing the basal like crazy ..... I had to increase the healthcare recommended 2.000 to 2.500 so I could give a higher dose for an hour or more, my run finished at 8.20 so I hope the 2 hour kick back will soon cease !!
It's going to take a few runs to sort this one. :-/
I really am not ready to take up knitting as a hobby just yet ....

Misty x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @MISTY10 , I've graphed your blood, activity, etc, as that often makes it easier to understand what is going on. It looks like below:
17540ee669bf40a48f951ee8eae18dff.jpg

The things that I think I can identify as happening from this are:

1. Your bolus of 3 at 5.25 was active in that sharp drop between 7 and 7.40, accelerated from your run. This is the normal timing for fast acting insulin having an effect.

2. Your reduced basal at 6.15 will have started to take effect somewhere around 8-8.30, given the usual acting time for basal. This is partially hidden on the graph because you also have 23g of fast acting carbs taken on at 8pm. Do you do this on every run?

3. Your basal increase from 8pm only really kicks in at about 10pm, again due to the acting time.

Based on graphing it like this, it looks as though you don't quite have your levels right heading into the run (either your earlier meal was eaten too close to run with too little insulin or your basal isn't quite right as the bg levels are rising fairly steeply).

The 15g of carbs and the correction shot probably weren't necessary together. Given you were going for a run, you could probably just take a single 1u correction dose, and let the run do the rest of the work.

You probably don't need to make the same level of basal reduction during the run that you have been as it isn't necessarily having the effect you expected. It appears that it is contributing to the rise after the run rather than stopping you going low during the run, but that may be exacerbated by the pre-run carbs and insulin.

Based on the above, what I would consider doing if this were me is:
  1. Try to address the reasons for the bg climb before the run
  2. Try to avoid a fast acting shot in the two hours before the run if possible
  3. If concerned about going low during the run, reduce basal roughly two hours before the run and maybe for half an hour into the run, but bring back to normal levels after that, whilst still running.
  4. If still registering highs post run, fix with a correction bolus, not by trying to manage the basal rate which isn't instantaneous in release.
If I know I'm going high, I find that correction shots are generally easier to manage than a basal rate adjustment as they have an immediate impact and you know the duration, whereas a basal rate adjustment doesn't really take effect for roughly two hours and doesn't have an immediate impact when it does take effect. Instead it is a slow feed over a period of time.

I'd also recommend getting yourself a Libre. I know that it costs £100 for an initial two week use, but the data you can get off it is invaluable in assessing the factors that we can see here.

Last edited by a moderator:

MISTY10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you Tim.

Today's run (a morning run I struggle with as need breaky and therefor some bollus).

Anyway I seem to have nearly cracked it ! Absolutely no double figure today. It needs fine tuning but none of that chasing down stupid highs and feeling like cr*p.
I need to really have a think about the whole basal thing, you are right it's tricky to know what to do.
So I needed some bollus for toast, I had half and raised the basal, just for an hour to stop going too high.
I also realise that 6 units were too much, 5 next time should be perfect
b8d89311f8f52df011f834a5683019fb.jpg

Misty x

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your thoughts are bit different from what I normally hear. Hopefully, you can elaborate a bit more to help some of us understand.

You mentioned gluconeogenesis which I understand to be the process of converting energy other than carbs (usually excess protein) into glucose. However, can you touch on how that affects post-exercise "liver dumps?"

It's my understanding that our bodies can only hold about 2000 calories worth of glycogen. That's split up into 500 which is stored in our liver and 1500 spread out through our skeletal muscle. It's my understanding that our livers can decide when to release that 500 (unfortunately, not always when we want it to). However, the 1500 calories in our skeletal muscle cannot be transferred throughout our body. Basically, glycogen in your thighs can replenish lost glycogen in your arms.

It's also my understanding that the 500 calories of glycogen stored in your liver are what cause your blood sugar to spike abnormally. However, those 500 calories can only last so long and probably won't last longer than 1-2 hrs.

Long story short, I think I understand why we have blood sugar spikes within the first hour of exercise, but after a certain point we've depleted our liver glycogen stores which means it couldn't spike our blood sugar until its replenished again.

You're much more qualified to discuss this than I am and I'm hoping you can point out what I'm missing in the equation.

Hi there,

Apologies I haven't replied sooner - I've only just spotted your post.

It sounds as though you already have an excellent understanding of the body's mechanics - that's great that you've taken time to try to understand what goes on in the body with exercise. I'm not sure I'm any more qualified than you to try to make sense of how the body behaves with exercise when you have diabetes, but for the record here are my thoughts:

I tend to keep a mental note of 'carb' storage in the body, vs 'calories' and my figures sound a little different to yours at approx 500g glycogen in the muscles vs 100g in the liver (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3248697/). Of course this figure is always going to vary - we're all made up differently and have different levels of storage capacity anyway.
It can also be a little misleading to only think in terms of glycogen stored, as the body is also able to run on other sources of energy such as free fatty acids.

So, a potted explanation (trying to keep it simple :))

Low/Moderate intensity exercise.
When you begin to exercise, your muscle glycogen become the first port of call. If the exercise is moderate intensity, then these stores will gradually be depleted, and after 15 - 20 mins or so, glucose will begin to be pulled out of the bloodstream. This will result in a gentle fall in blood glucose and this fall will be countered by your liver, which will convert it's easily convertible glycogen stores to glucose (through glycogenolysis) and top your glucose levels up. (Research suggests that the glucose may also come from gluconeogenesis at this point: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15356077) . This is the basic pattern for 'moderate' exercise - where the heart rate hasn't been elevated a great deal. (Remember that glucose isn't the only source of fuel and for low to moderate exercise, fats are a useful source of energy.
A point of interest is also that for anybody without diabetes, the pancreas switches off insulin production when they begin to exercise, as circulating insulin can cause a rapid fall in blood glucose.

Higher intensity exercise
Raise the heart rate, and something quite different happens. Firstly at higher intensities the muscles' favoured fuel source is glucose. With the rise in heart rate comes an automatic stress response within the body which triggers the liver to release glucose into the bloodstream. This source may come from the process of glycogenolysis, gluconeogenesis, or both. Much as you may have '100g' of carb in the form of readily available glycogen for quick release by the liver, gluconeogenesis is the main cause of rising and continuing high levels of glucose in the bloodstream and the liver will continue pumping out glucose for as long as your heart rate is elevated (or until you drop!). So to the point about a liver 'dump' with exercise, it's not so much just a one 'hit'. Whilst the heart rate remains elevated, the liver is still getting the stress signal to release glucose.

A problem of rising bloods comes at the point where you finish your exercise (or you suddenly reduce the muscle work rate), because the liver takes a while to get the message that you've stopped your activity and so continues pumping out glucose. Once finished, you're no longer working your muscles, so the glucose is no longer getting used up and the result is that glucose begins to build up in the bloodstream.
For anybody without diabetes, immediately after exercise (or at any point that there are rising blood glucose levels), their pancreas will release insulin. Insulin not only enhances the rate at which the glucose gets taken up by the muscles, but it can also signal the liver to stop releasing glucose (possibly because glucagon is a hormone involved in the regulation of liver gluconeogenesis, and glucagon and insulin act like a tag team in the pancreas - release one and the other switches off and vice versa).
I don't think it has been studied fully yet, but it seems that for some individuals with diabetes, eating something and taking some insulin after exercise can mimic this action (and so help switch off gluconeogenesis) after exercise. :)

Phew - sorry if that was a bit tedious! The point is that although there is a liver 'dump' to a stress response caused by an elevated heart rate, the liver will actually keep pumping out glucose indefinitely over and above any easily accessible glycogen stores and if I remember correctly, it is generally understood that elevated glucose levels in T1D are always attributed to gluconeogenesis.

Hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: 6 people