Rosuvastatin

Cosy

I stopped taking statins a few months ago due to muscle pain unfortunately my cholesterol is now too high. My doctor has asked me to try Rosuvastitin but on reading a few things about the side effects that can be caused by this I am not sure whether to take it. One of them is saying anyone with kidney problems, I don't actually have kidney problems but I am bothered with kidney stones. It also says that it can cause Type 2 diabetes.....think a bit late for that !

Is anyone taking this and what are their views.

Thank you as always

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on that one, I found it ok and it was effective in getting the chol down, infact I had to reduce the dose. my last test was 2.7 with LDL under 1

brdavies

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped taking statins a few months ago due to muscle pain unfortunately my cholesterol is now too high. My doctor has asked me to try Rosuvastitin but on reading a few things about the side effects that can be caused by this I am not sure whether to take it. One of them is saying anyone with kidney problems, I don't actually have kidney problems but I am bothered with kidney stones. It also says that it can cause Type 2 diabetes.....think a bit late for that !

Is anyone taking this and what are their views.

Thank you as always

I was taking Rosuvastatin until about 2 days ago when I made the decision that I believe no statin is safe. Total duration of being on this statin was about 12 weeks.

Baycol (Cerivastatin) was removed from the market due to side effects (that killed people). Statins have also been shown to cause cognitive problems, including short term memory loss and temporary global amnesia. See Dr. Duane Graveline's book "The Statin Damage Crisis". I ordered it because I saw a lot of negative references about statins and I wanted to see whether to be concerned. He's got credibility, personal experience (having taken them himself and suffered severe amnesia side effects), and backs up the conclusions with science. He also makes an excellent case that high cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease (based on current medical research results), and not only that but cholesterol is absolutely required by the body to perform critical functions. The 30 year crusade against cholesterol may have been an error, essentially like blaming a scab for causing a cut.

All statins suppress the same chemical reaction pathway to cholesterol at the same point, so it doesn't matter which one it is - they all have the potential to cause side effects. But I wonder if dose might matter, making Rosuvastatin a better choice (since it takes less than other statins).

Whether you should take statins will be a tradeoff that may make sense for you depending on what else is going on. There are cases where they may solve some kinds of problems, but it comes with risk. If you do take statins, then you should ask whether you should also be taking a CoQ10 supplement and how much. (CoQ10 is a critical intermediate product that your body needs that statins also suppress, among others.)

In my case I was taking CoQ10 300mg per day on prescription with Crestor 10mg per day (thankfully my Dr. prescribed the CoQ10). I didn't notice any side effects as far as I could tell, but I investigate any medication I am taking, I decided to drop statins but keep the CoQ10 supplementation once I discovered just how dangerous statins are (and why). I just won't take that kind of risk, now that I know it's there. I take a lot of other nootropic supplements daily specifically to keep my brain at top capability because of the nature of my job.

I've got T2 Diabetes controlled by diet & exercise alone (pretty successfully despite starting at HgA1c of 10.4%), an abnormal arrangement of coronary arteries making my left ventricle weaker than it should be (LVEF about 37% when it should be 50%), an abnormal ECG pattern as a result (it's an LBBB, which means the two sides of the heart are not quite synchronised), the start of some soft plaque in coronary arteries [bad] but no calcification at all [good, and unusually low for my age, likely due to dietary supplements]. So with this set of conditions, I want to see how far I can get in reversing the situation with controlled glucose levels, exercise, diet & weight loss before moving to statins to try to essentially dissolve the plaques by lowering blood lipid levels. But I may go to a low alternating-day dose of Rosuvastatin if I don't make progress with that. That should give you a good idea of how dangerous I now think statins are in general and even more-so for diabetics, and the kind of tradeoffs I'm currently making.

Reactions: 2 people