Sad and insomnia

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
I have read that having diabetes type 2 you just get sicker and sicker etc I only went for a smear with the nurse! I have only felt mentally sick since diagnosis a couple of weeks ago (I suffer depression and anxiety but was under control) and I was having large quantity of vodka just prior to bed so to sleep for years which I've stopped last thurs and having nil sleep at night to if lucky 2hours. I'm totally exhausted and bewildered. Dr knows about me stopping alcohol but won't give sleeping tablets. My test H thingy result was 54/56. I am so worried
Ps before this I didn't feel sick just fat and laziness

Last edited:

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't have to get sicker and sicker with diabetes. It's all in your own hands. I'll tag @daisy1 so you can get the info for newly diagnosed. I have had diabetes for over 27 years now and have no complications so far. It's all up to you. You have come to the right place for help and advice. A lot of us follow the LCHF diet and find it helps. I too suffer from mild depression (following the death of both my parents within 6 months) it's under control with the help of pills. I am sending you a hug and please take care

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Rosiegough_

You will have seen this Basic Information on another thread but here it is again for ease of reference. I hope you get some useful advice on this thread. The link to the Basic Information is in my signature below. It also includes a link to the Low Carb Program which could be useful to you.

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi Rosie,
I suffer with severe depression so I know how easy it is to get down about all of this, receiving a diagnosis of diabetes dose not have to be a negative experience. But it is difficult to deal with initially, you go through all sort's of emotions and start thinking the worse case scenario, but it is possible to get beyond that. You need to start taking control of the situation. I began by reading everything I could on this site, taking on board the basics, started eating low carbohydrate high fat diet, not severely as I knew I wouldn't manage that I basically just cut my carbs by half by eating less of them and being concious of what I was doing, then stopped eating all the sweet stuff I would consume on a daily basis.
The more control I took the more I managed to cope with things.

There are possible side effects of diabetes, but dwelling on it dosent help. It may be years before you personally see any of them in yourself, even if you ever do. with good control and taking care it is possible to live a full and relatively healthy life.

Please try and think of this as a new challenge, one you can conker and ride over with a little effort and time.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck
Maggie

Reactions: James13

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Chin up Rosie. It's largely up to you how the disease progresses in terms of you having control of what you eat and how you look after yourself. Like you, I have bouts of depression and have terrible health anxiety. I am in very early stage of LADA (late onset Type 1 diabetes) and with time will be insulin dependant (goes with the territory) but there is so much I can do in the meantime ... looking after myself by eating a low carb diet and keeping blood sugars as low as possible, exercising, losing some weight etc. will hopefully keep me insulin free for some time to come.

I too worry about what the future holds and how awful my life will be when my life revolves around blood sugars/insulin shots etc. But the good thing is I have known this is coming for the last few years and have been reading and learning from others on the forum which has given me so much confidence in how to deal with it when it arrives. I felt quite proud at my endo appointment this week when I was able to talk knowledgeably about the disease. Knowledge is power - So hang around here, keep reading and posting.

This is a wakeup call. You can stop it in it's tracks. Sometimes life's gifts come wrapped in the shittiest of packages

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Diabetes is just like a wayward toddler. Get it trained and its plain sailing after that! :) :) :)
Your more than capable of training into a diabetic soldier! The more the merrier. We can stand tall, together!

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I'm another one with mild depression who was lazy and fat on diagnosis, and, however you want to dress it up, I'm a recovering alcoholic who suffers from insomnia. We could be related. My diagnosis came as I attended a diabetes pre-diagnosis programme, my HbA1c was 52. I've followed the Low Carb Higher Fat way of life quite strictly for the last 6 months and have lost 4 and a half stones, but more importantly my HbA1c reading has dropped to 39, taking me out of the high risk category.
This may sound like I'm bigging my self up, and I would be lying if I didn't say how chuffed I am at my results. But really what I'm saying is that things do not need to be quite so dark as you might think.
The real winner is the LCHF programme and the forums on this site. I know being diagnosed is huge, but it actually has changed my life for the better, and it can for you too.
Read everything you can. Ask any questions that occur, I quickly learnt there are no silly questions (I've posted some doozies:wacky:). There are some amazingly clever, caring, understanding, generous peeps here who will help.
But I knew ultimately it was down to me to make the changes, and I remember thinking the mountain was insurmountable, but it really isn't. Like @Maggie/Magpie said, start slowly if that suits you, and persevere. Keep chipping away and you will see improvements, and ultimately feel better. Good luck honey.

Reactions: Goonergal

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi Rosiegough.

Ditto on anxiety, depression and insomnia in the past year. I am at the 9th year of ddiabetes 2 and it was tolerable in the beginning. As the glyglizide depleted the depression (which I have anyway) and insomnia and anxiety have increased. When I see my GP soon, I will suggest that a low gliclazide may be the cause of hyperglycemia. Wish me luck.

S

serenity648

I have been suffering from irregular sleep patterns and insomnia too, which adds to feeling bad in gereral. I came across this yesterday:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-sleep.html

although my blood sugar levels are now pretty stable, I am also menopausal, to add to the mix, and have anxiety and PTSD which also affects my blood sugar levels and thus my sleep. There is a lot at play when it comes to sleep and moods, isnt there.

Reactions: James13