Sandwich replacement?

Sue81

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm trying to get properly sorted with LCHF. Breakfast is okay as is dinner but I'm struggling with lunches at work.

I work in an office and it's one of those places where most days you grab something easy at your desk. Ever since I started working I've had a sandwich or a wrap and I can't seem to find something to replace it.

I should explain I have a social phobia and eating in front of others can be difficult for me. Everything I try seems to be triggering it more than what I'm used to. I'm sure that will settle down a bit if I get a new habit in place.

Salads seem to take too long to eat. At a weekend I eat chunks/slices of meat, chicken and cheese but I've tried that a few times at work, it stands out against what others are eating. I guess I'm looking for something which is a similar eating experience without the carbs.

If I can work out a new lunchtime staple which fits with what I need to be eating and doesn't stress me out I'll feel in a much better place.

I also need to find a new go to for evening snacking but that one's more trial and error.

S

serenity648

Evening snacking for me is a big bowl of chopped mixed salad with some olive oil on it.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried an omelette to use as a wrap? Have tried it myself occasionally and it's a different option but have to admit I'm not an LCHF'er.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
If I am somewhere without a microwave to heat soup I will usually have a cooked bratwurst sausage which I eat like a sausage roll. It is just minus the pastry or a pastryless quiche. I use those silicon pastry cases (which I have to admit are glaringly bright) and fill them with stuff that goes into a quiche. Pour beaten eggs mixed with double cream and seasoning over the top and cook in the oven. Sometimes I just have egg or tuna butter with stuff like rocket or olives mixed in. I have a pot of wild rocket growing by the back door. It is very handy for instant salad. I also eat cauli cheese cold but I am probably the only person in the world that does.

Reactions: Lally123

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go for a Lidl protein roll if you want something similar to what others are eating.

Reactions: Ultramum

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trying to get properly sorted with LCHF. Breakfast is okay as is dinner but I'm struggling with lunches at work.

I work in an office and it's one of those places where most days you grab something easy at your desk. Ever since I started working I've had a sandwich or a wrap and I can't seem to find something to replace it.

Try this low carb bread too?
http://www.thelondoner.me/2014/03/mums-low-carb-bread.html

I made something similar this weekend but flat in a tray instead of loaf so you can use it as the top and bottom layer of a sandwich

this was the recipe I used
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/bagels-with-smoked-salmon-and-cream-cheese-reconstructed/10853

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

alannon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like Nairn oat biscuits the light ones, although not sure about carb levels, they have helped me reduce weight and they are filling. You could "sandwich"them with cream cheese have a few nuts or a hard boiled egg? Celery with Philadelphia cheese spread in the groove is delicious but maybe too noisy?

Reactions: alinofruit

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I like Nairn oat biscuits the light ones, although not sure about carb levels, they have helped me reduce weight and they are filling. You could "sandwich"them with cream cheese have a few nuts or a hard boiled egg? Celery with Philadelphia cheese spread in the groove is delicious but maybe too noisy?
hubby likes tesco's own better

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do salad at my desk at work every day.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand what you're saying about salad taking a long time to eat but I have it most days at my desk.and find that chopping stuff up small really helps. So I make Greek salad with choped lettuuce, tomato, cucumber, then throw in small chunks of feta and a few olives. I take salad dressing separately and pour it over at the last minute.

I also make chicken caesarian salad. Again, chopped lettuce and cucumber then cold chicken and some parmesan shavings. I take a caesar salad dressing which I mix in at the last minute.

Otherwise I make my own low carb bread and make sandwiches. We don't have a Lidl near us or I would use their high protein rolls more often. I stock up whenever I go near one.

gowlanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being judged

I should explain I have a social phobia and eating in front of others can be difficult for me. Everything I try seems to be triggering it more than what I'm used to. I'm sure that will settle down a bit if I get a new habit in place.

Salads seem to take too long to eat. At a weekend I eat chunks/slices of meat, chicken and cheese but I've tried that a few times at work, it stands out against what others are eating. I guess I'm looking for something which is a similar eating experience without the carbs.

If I can work out a new lunchtime staple which fits with what I need to be eating and doesn't stress me out I'll feel in a much better place.

I also need to find a new go to for evening snacking but that one's more trial and error.

I fill some celery sticks with cream cheese, cut into bite size chunks. Hope this helps

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lidl protein rolls are perfect for this, you can fill them with any filler that you would fill normal bread, they are very filling and so only need 1! x

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidl protein rolls are perfect for this, you can fill them with any filler that you would fill normal bread, they are very filling and so only need 1! x
I like the Lidl rolls as well. Does anyone know how many grammes of carbs they are each?

Sue81

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've rediscovered crackerbread and soft cheese. Not too dissimilar to a sandwich and only 3.5g of carbs each