Saturated fat

S

serenity648

I would hazard a guess that most of us would agree that the ubiquitous mass produced, cooking oils should be avoided if at all possible. I have switched to cooking with cold pressed rape seed oil, olive oil, butter, lard, suet and goose/duck fat. Still reading up on the rape seed oil, though.
it is also know as canola oil. I avoid it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would hazard a guess that most of us would agree that the ubiquitous mass produced, cooking oils should be avoided if at all possible. I have switched to cooking with cold pressed rape seed oil, olive oil, butter, lard, suet and goose/duck fat. Still reading up on the rape seed oil, though.
Let me know what you find out please. In my research canola has the uric acid and the other nasty thing taken out. I do eat expeller pressed non gmo canola mayo as it's the best I can find. I used to make my own mayo but needed to add refined oils so it didn't taste nasty. At least it's expeller pressed and non gmo. And it's delish!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Let me know what you find out please. In my research canola has the uric acid and the other nasty thing taken out. I do eat expeller pressed non gmo canola mayo as it's the best I can find. I used to make my own mayo but needed to add refined oils so it didn't taste nasty. At least it's expeller pressed and non gmo. And it's delish!

Will do.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I would advise to get a starting point blood test for all your cholestrol and follow what you are happy with. Ask for a repeat cholesterol test in 3 months and then decide what suits you.

We tried more saturated fats.. no good for me as meat doesnt travel in my stomach/colon and the extra cream etc put our levels in the wrong direction.

We are both better off with healtier nut form/olive oil.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still confused about the advice regarding eating fats. The low carb course advised increasing healthy fats and says these include the fat on meat and other saturated fats. However the advice in the pre-diabetes cookbook linked to on this site says that these should be cut out to lose weight. Not sure where to go from here.

This is the apparent dilemma that we typically face...should we be concern about our glucose levels, cholesterol levels or BP levels? Which should take precedence? In an attempt to manage all three, the standard approach for the past 30-40 years has been lower calorie, low fat and low salt diet and don't forget to exercise. Has that improved the numbers in any part of the world for any or all three of the conditions? If not, is it because the propose approach does not work? Or possibly most unable to comply long enough, unsustainable perhaps?

Basically I decided that instead of trying to solve all three problems...I focus only on one...and that is to normalize the glucose/insulin level. And let the cholesterol/BP settle itself...

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Opinion on whether saturated fats are good / bad to eat is sharply divided. However, there is consensus (I think) that trans fats are very very bad.
Not much food has trans fats in these days it is no longer used in spreads and some shops like M&S say their foods do not contain it so it has been recognised as being bad

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still confused about the advice regarding eating fats. The low carb course advised increasing healthy fats and says these include the fat on meat and other saturated fats. However the advice in the pre-diabetes cookbook linked to on this site says that these should be cut out to lose weight. Not sure where to go from here.
When it come to fat do what you feel is best for you some do not want to eat a lot of saturated fats and prefer good oils etc some like the animal fats it is up to you there are no rules

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Kristin251

Cold pressed Rapeseed Oil (UK)
Produced without the use of chemicals or solvents at temperatures lower than 40'c which produces low peroxide levels it is then filtered and bottled. It is free from transfats and very low in sat fats.
Note. If a cooking oil does not taste of the plant it comes from then it is a refined oil. So cold pressed rapeseed oil having a very mild flavour of rape (a member of the brassica family) is not considered a refined oil much like cold pressed olive oil.
So, until I learn different, cp rapeseed oil will remain my staple for stir frays and frying eggs. The only reason I don't use lard to fry eggs is the that I dislike the risk of having a solid fat clogging up the drains.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Th
@Kristin251

Produced without the use of chemicals or solvents at temperatures lower than 40'c which produces low peroxide levels it is then filtered and bottled. It is free from transfats and very low in sat fats.
Note. If a cooking oil does not taste of the plant it comes from then it is a refined oil. So cold pressed rapeseed oil having a very mild flavour of rape (a member of the brassica family) is not considered a refined oil much like cold pressed olive oil.
So, until I learn different, cp rapeseed oil will remain my staple for stir frays and frying eggs. The only reason I don't use lard to fry eggs is the that I dislike the risk of having a solid fat clogging up the drains.
thank you! That's pretty much what I got out of it. I don't use it for frying, it's just in my mayo.
I sauté on low heat with olive oil ( or steam fish with no oil) , and I sear lamb and beef with a little butter. Poultry is roasted with no additional fat.

Glad my mayo is ok. I'm a mayo junky!!

Reactions: Guzzler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Th

thank you! That's pretty much what I got out of it. I don't use it for frying, it's just in my mayo.
I sauté on low heat with olive oil ( or steam fish with no oil) , and I sear lamb and beef with a little butter. Poultry is roasted with no additional fat.

Glad my mayo is ok. I'm a mayo junky!!

Can you not get Hellmanns Real Mayo?
Ingredients
  • Rapeseed Oil (78%),
  • Water,
  • Pasteurised Free Range Egg & Egg Yolk (7.9%),
  • Spirit Vinegar,
  • Salt,
  • Sugar,
  • Lemon Juice Concentrate,
  • Antioxidant (Calcium Disodium EDTA),
  • Flavourings,
  • Paprika Extract
Omega 3
Per 100g
7g.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp...p:gb/groceries/hellmanns-real-mayonnaise-600g

Reactions: TIANDB

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251

If you are going to heat the rapeseed oil to 180C for frying does the lack of heat in production make any difference? If you use lard, wait until it solidifies then put it in the bin.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you not get Hellmanns Real Mayo?
Ingredients
  • Rapeseed Oil (78%),
  • Water,
  • Pasteurised Free Range Egg & Egg Yolk (7.9%),
  • Spirit Vinegar,
  • Salt,
  • Sugar,
  • Lemon Juice Concentrate,
  • Antioxidant (Calcium Disodium EDTA),
  • Flavourings,
  • Paprika Extract
Omega 3
Per 100g
7g.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10123&langId=44&productId=38682&storeId=10151&krypto=znfXmlLopnZjk2WgofTuQ0mge4i7i6C8w0pQ8JYPSE3d+nBjdi3Xs+C4E5FKblQJ1pu17Zgdsh6U8cLNGgulvGSRaMrJ6piaAuNfY4HNcKjIuJHpybk7eNNBv1OQyge/G2I/ijA4yiYP6ha8XX3IHA==&ddkey=http:gb/groceries/hellmanns-real-mayonnaise-600g
Our Hellmanns is soybean oil. Go figure. It was my favorite mayo but the one I get now is almost exactly the same. Just canola oil. Very creamy and delish.

Reactions: Bluetit1802