Saw Doctor and Very Disappointing re; HbA1c

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@julifriend Cheers, I'll give that a go. We have cottage hospitals around here which house a lot of valuable "fringe" health services (ears, feet etc) which tend to disappear when they announce cut-backs :nurse:

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@julifriend Cheers, I'll give that a go. We have cottage hospitals around here which house a lot of valuable "fringe" health services (ears, feet etc) which tend to disappear when they announce cut-backs :nurse:
Hi DeejayR pleased you've picked up on this, it would help a lot of people in ouir position it will be intreresting to see whether it's a national policy.
Can't wait to go & inquire.
Neil

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought that it was NHS policy for all diabetics to have free visits to a podiatrist or chiropnist annually.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it is, on the "your 15 rights" charter. But on their checklist "podiatrist" and "chiropodist" cover a range of actual qualifications -- in my case a quick trip to a nurse at the surgery who has some things on a list. Retinopathy on the other hand seems to have been hijacked, sorry, assimilated by private enterprise and my test was very efficient .
It's a bit like the "you will be seen within 5 minutes (or whatever) of your appointment" time -- a work experience person takes you into a cubicle, checks your name and address, ticks the box and sends you off to the real waiting room where you might sit for ages.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I self referred for a full podiatry check. I picked a self referral form up from my surgery, as did Mr. Bluetit who is not diabetic but had a corn. We were both seen on the same day about 5 weeks later at our local cottage hospital. We were both told we were discharged as no further treatment/checks needed and that we would need to self refer again should the need arise. I get my pulse and sensation in feet checked at every diabetic review, which is currently twice yearly. (I was every 3 months initially).

I believe the norm is to reduce the number of reviews from 3 months to 6 months to 12 months when they are satisfied we are stable and in control and on the right meds. As your doctor thinks you are stable, in control, and on the right meds, he must be satisfied you only need 12 monthly reviews. However, after I was moved from 3 months to 6 months, rather than wait 6 months I asked for an interim HbA1c and got it, no hassle or problem. Just the blood test, no actual appointment with the nurse.

Well done on your HbA1c. I hope you aren't disappointed? You sound as though you may be?

Reactions: 4 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I self referred for a full podiatry check. I picked a self referral form up from my surgery, as did Mr. Bluetit who is not diabetic but had a corn. We were both seen on the same day about 5 weeks later at our local cottage hospital. We were both told we were discharged as no further treatment/checks needed and that we would need to self refer again should the need arise. I get my pulse and sensation in feet checked at every diabetic review, which is currently twice yearly. (I was every 3 months initially).

I believe the norm is to reduce the number of reviews from 3 months to 6 months to 12 months when they are satisfied we are stable and in control and on the right meds. As your doctor thinks you are stable, in control, and on the right meds, he must be satisfied you only need 12 monthly reviews. However, after I was moved from 3 months to 6 months, rather than wait 6 months I asked for an interim HbA1c and got it, no hassle or problem. Just the blood test, no actual appointment with the nurse.

Well done on your HbA1c. I hope you aren't disappointed? You sound as though you may be?

Hi Again Bluetit, I appreciate you input.

No the opposite, I am very pleased with my HbA1c, and so was the Doctor, it was just I had achieved a good reduction in the level, moved out of the diabetic range, but for me to know where the HbA1c is, just gives you a guide to where you are going 12 months seemed to long to wait.

I was going to do what you did and that is, just ask for a blood test so I can keep up-to-date and see the progress.

Neil

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad you are pleased, and you genuinely deserve it. It is a great result and no reason why the next one shouldn't be even better.

When I asked for the interim HbA1c I also got a full lipid and cholesterol test, so I was well pleased.