JamesAB

Hi everyone

I joined this forum just to talk to someone as I am feeling terrible. My story is long an complicate but to summarise quickly,
about 4 years ago I got gastritis from antibiotics and steroids for asthma. This lead me to develop a hypersensitivity of nerves in
my stomach. This mean I could not eat anything apart from boiled chicken and rice and at the odd piece of carrots. This went on for 4 years with various flare u9s resulting from anything from trying new foods to trying to come off protein pump inhibitors. I had maybe over 20 forceps and they would prevent me from standing and walking also, quiet complicated to explain. I would have to ear every 2 hours and missing a meal would leave me with vain, reflux and breathless. Anyway, 5 weeks ago I had a severe flareup one much worse than before, it actually started when I changed my honey winch gave me a small flare up and I tried to get off my PPI.medication. This time I had a sensitivity issue much worse than ever before, I also developed gastritis.

This time I could not eat even chicken and rice, I could not eat anything apart from porridge oats gluten free.. Alco I would have to eat hourly and because of the vain I could not sleep I would end up earning 20x a day for last 6 weeks almost.I also had to eat them semi dry as eating them wett would hurt me and cause breathless and asthma attack.

This is my story so far, I am also very malnourished right now. I am low on many vitamins, this time now and I also have has to take my protein pump inhibitors at much higher dose than before and recommended doses, pantoprazole 40mg x 3 daily. I did this to save my life.

My problem is for about 1 week I am started first to get blurred left eye, I thought it was protein pump inhibitors and I changed it to nexium 20mg x 3. over the next 3 days my blurred eye got worse so this made me suspect it might not be the PPI medication. I started to get dry mouth in the evening and mostly at night. It made eating porridge so difficult and to swallow porridge as I usually it eat very dry and rely on my saliva to lubricate it.

the problem is now my doctor/family suspect I am possibly diabetic. TAHIS IS NIGHTMARE SITUATION FOR ME as I can only eat porridge and I eat about 30g every hour with tiny bit water. I can't eat meats as it puts me in unbelievable pain in stomach and makes me breathless. The diabetic diet involves no carbs or about 230g of carbs but I am eating about 1000g+ of carbs a day. I could possibly reduce my meals to 20g of oats but have to eat every hour. I don't know what to do. I can't stop earning ots and if I do cont8nue I could up blinds or with other diabetic complications. The only thing I am not doing is urinating a lot. Someone said to me the large amount of oats could be making you dehydrated but I tried drinking 2 -3 titles of water but my dry mouth did not stop.

I am confused and scared. I recently did a nerve block for the pain but it was not successful. I can't tolerate the other pain meds and waiting for pain consultant to recommend next thing to try which is RF ablation of the nerves to kill them. But they take my case so casually its funny at best.

My whole mid section is so sensitive that I can't walk for longer than 2-3 min at a time before having to lay down.

any diet or diabetes advice would be greatly appreciated as my situation is scary.

thank for reading this long wall of txt.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome
Sorry to read you are having such a tough time with your health. It is understandable that with all you have to content to diabetes would really be an unwelcome additional complication.
Finding out if you do have diabetes is quite straightforward though, a simple blood test is all that is required. Did you take the blood test for diabetes? It's worth doing to stop all the worrying, which at the end of the day may be over nothing. You do not show all the usual diabetes symptoms (no frequent urination) and I am not sure why increased blood glucose would affect your vision in just one eye but not the other.

Best of luck.

JamesAB

Hi Pavlson

Thank you for your prompt reply and reassuring me. I practically just finished fiving blood for the Hb1Ac today.
very sorry I did not mention that just yesterday my right eye has also started to get a very slight blur and I am assum8ng it will go the way of thru left eye. Although I don't urinate much I do have dry tongue/ mouth. I assume not urinating much is because I don't drink much water? also if I drink water I urinate almost 20-30min later almost same amount.

I am assuming the frequent urination from diabetes is what is causing the dry mouth and thirst?

although the blur in my left eye is not bad, it find reading txt on my phone very difficult unless its very large font with my right eye if I close my left. I assume the blur from diabetes happens on both eyes simultaneously?
If I open both eyes I can read txt with little a blur but still struggle with some txt at 2-3 metres away.

I am dying from anxiety and stress I can't tolerate both illness together as I can't regulate my diet. If I could I would not worry as much. This is a terrible predicament.

I was wondering if I half my porridge intake would that help with sugar levels even though I would be eating every hour?

regardless thank you for your reassuring words, I am a nervous rack. in 6 weeks there has not been one day I have slept for more than 2 hours continuously, I keep getting woken by pain to eat. Lucky to sleep 3 hours a day of lucky. I have been awake for almost 40 hours so far from stress.

I will keep you posted on my outcome. I am hoping these are side effects of either the PPI acids reducing medication which involves blurred vision and dry mouth or its from severe vitamin A deficiency.

thank you

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I think the best idea would be to ask your doctor for a referral to a dietician if you get a diabetes diagnosis.

If you are diagnosed as being diabetic and you feel you can't change your diet then there are medications to lower blood sugars which your doctor will discuss with you.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi James
If you are diagnosed with diabetes don't be too scared. As far as I understand it can be controlled with drugs and you'll be advised on that.
Ideally (if you trust people on this site, and you should) you want to treat the diabetes with diet / lifestyle changes where possible. BUT you can't do that with your on-going nerve pain / stomach / eating problems. You said something telling in your initial post, that they are treating your case 'casually'. It's easy for me to say but you really have to address this. Do your damnedest to search out the right treatment and find people who'll take you seriously.
It seems to be the root of everything - stress, lack of sleep, nutrition - all of which may contribute to diabetes.
I really hope you can find some relief.
Best of luck.