Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
Did much more walking yesterday with the dogs and ended up with a hypo :shock:
Went out feeling fine after breakfast for about 3 hours, came home at Lunch time and thought I'll just nip out with my Pup for a wee while.
Felt fine when out and got in the car to drive home and started to feel unwell (a bit shaky) :?
Managed to get home safe and tested it was low at 2.4 :shock:
Had some cake and Lucozade then made and ate a cheese sandwich. Half and hour later it was 4.8
A very first time scary exp, that will teach me to use more energy without eating and taking my monitoring eqip out with me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pleased you got back home without having an accident :shock:

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Would be a good thing to keep a small pack of Dextro energy tabs on you and a pack in your glovebox just in case it happens again.must be frightening feeling like that away from home!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi glad you made it back home safetly.
You can always pop a kiddies packet of jelly babies in your pocket or handbag .
Great for raising the low blood sugars, whilst out and about, enough to a safer level.
I take these with me when out walking my 2 yorkies, freya n gracey.
Nice treat to nibble as well ... yum yum !
I find the blackcurrant dextro tablets the best flavour too .
Keep 1 in my car, 1 in my handbag, 1 in bedside drawer too !!!
Plus bottle of lucozade in my car boot . . . :p
Anna.

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
Paul1976 said:
Would be a good thing to keep a small pack of Dextro energy tabs on you and a pack in your glovebox just in case it happens again.must be frightening feeling like that away from home!

Im going to do this in future :thumbup:

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
anna29 said:
Hi glad you made it back home safetly.
You can always pop a kiddies packet of jelly babies in your pocket or handbag .
Great for raising the low blood sugars, whilst out and about, enough to a safer level.
I take these with me when out walking my 2 yorkies, freya n gracey.
Nice treat to nibble as well ... yum yum !
I find the blackcurrant dextro tablets the best flavour too .
Keep 1 in my car, 1 in my handbag, 1 in bedside drawer too !!!
Plus bottle of lucozade in my car boot . . . :p
Anna.

Great tip Thanks :thumbup:
It really gave me a wake up call, esp after running high BG's for so long it was totally unexpected :shock:

jojo2276

Hi! So sorry to hear about your experience but ironically I have just returned from docs after exactly the same episode yesterday. I am type 2 on metformin- waking bs was 10.4 and after lunch within half and hour I was 2.3 and felt dreadful! Took a long time to get a rise. Have been put on slow release met today and I'm now back in double figures! So frustrating! Hope you feel much better soon! Take care jo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I guess you know that the Glimepiride can cause hypos as it drives the pancreas whereas Metformin has no effect on the pancreas. If you continue to get hypos you might want to review dosage as well as taking food regularly.

Unbeliever

Daibell said:
Hi. I guess you know that the Glimepiride can cause hypos as it drives the pancreas whereas Metformin has no effect on the pancreas. If you continue to get hypos you might want to review dosage as well as taking food regularly.
Yes and you might also consider taking the glimepiride at a different time. Glimepiride and exercise will almost inevitably reslt in a hypo. This is a drug which has to be balanced with food and exercise.or you won't get he best out of it and you WILL hypo.

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles!
Liver
Thanks all
I take my Glimepiride with my main meal in the late afternoon/evening (usually between 5-7pm)
The hypo happened at Lunchtime.
I basically missed my meal as I was feeling fine and thought Id just take the Pup for a quick walk.
Ive missed or been late with meals before and been fine.
My Diabetic Nurse is due to ring me today or Tomorrow so I will mention this to her.
My Levels have been in double figures before and since Sunday :?

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have seen people say "HYPO" what is it and how do you know you have it

Thanks

A

Anonymous

oh not good to hear you had this experience... it certainly is scary when you're out and about.

Probably too late to say this to you..... but I did what you did once and got in my car and drove home whilst having a hypo... I panicked because I didn't have food with me, only lollies which don't always work on me either... juice is much better and I didn't have this. I told my endo about the experience and he told me off... he said I shouldn't drive within half an hour of having a hypo as the first thing that goes is your judgement. So that is some advice to remember for next time. :D You can certainly have a hypo on metformin alone too (I certainly did) and any drug that works on your pancreas means you have to be extra careful.

@David... a hypo is when your blood sugar is too low for your body to function properly. It's any figure below 4 usually.... but for some they can hypo a bit higher than this as their bodies aren't used to low numbers. Also it can differ whether it's night or day (it does for me)... I can hypo below 4.5 during the day and at night I don't get symptoms until I'm much lower. I guess it's your body giving you warning signs that you're getting too low... it needs more energy during the day naturally. For symptoms... it differs for everyone... but the main symptoms that most people get for mild hypos are: shaking, sweating, weakness, loss of judgement/balance, change in mood/irritability, loss of concentration. Other symptoms may include numbness, nausea, heart palpitations, slurred speech.... I've been told by my endo that when at slurred speech stage you could be in real trouble as the next symptom is usually going unconscious where you will need emergency treatment. There is plenty of info on the net about hypo symptoms though... I may have not covered everything here. It's important to get to know what your body can or can't handle.... your medical team will work with you on this usually. :D