Type 2 Scary

clairemcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a very scary experience last night, 3rd time it's happened, dizzy faint muscles like lead completely weak nausea really felt like I was loosing consciousness,
Got up to pee at 12 ish, this happened managed to get back into bed, checked bloods 8.3, I had a huge spike in the day from porridge (14-2) then it settled, had cottage cheese and bacon and 2 eggs for dinner, roughly 900kcal (ish)
I was diagnosed (T2) in November put on Metformin (500x3), but since Christmas my fasting bloods are never less than 10, usually 12, I'm very very strict in what I'm eating, porridge didn't do that before Christmas.
Have Docs next week Tuesday and all bloods taken, I'm scared if this happens again I can't understand why,
I'm also scared the Doc will start me on injections.
If anyone can shed any light on this I would be most grateful ;)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have a couple of comments:
1. Carbs for breakfast cause my blood sugar level to spike much higher than the same amount of carbs at lunch or dinner. I think this is true for most people.
2. Reducing the amount of carbs you eat will lower your post-meal blood sugar levels. For me switching to a low carb high fat diet has also reduced my morning fasting blood glucose levels.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you are experiencing this.

You say you are strict on what you are eating, but how strict is strict? Perhaps you could tell us a typical day's food and drink and we may have some suggestions.

Reactions: 3 people

clairemcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The porridge was the first Carbs I have had in weeks, typical day,
Breakfast apple and a yogurt , or yogurt and berries (natural yogurt)
Lunch, half a handful of nuts(almond or cashews), apple, or carrot and broccoli with a little mayo or eggs &bacon
Dinner, meat and salad, eggs &bacon home made curry (100% home made) and salad.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I think what you've learned is that for you it's best to avoid porridge for breakfast.

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if you are harbouring an infection or coming down with a cold or virus? Or are you particularly stressed at the moment? All these affect BS levels. I am also wondering if you have enough calories in your diet, and if you should be adding some extra dairy foods? (unless you have other medical issues that make this unwise) There don't seem to be many calories there, unless your portions are huge.

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi clairemcg, try the full fat Greek yogurt, also omit the porrige for a week and the Apple .....I know it's asking a lot but if you don't get any more hypo's then that's your answer, in my case I know now that wheat and rice do me up like a kipper::(( you will get this under control don't worry .

clairemcg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh yes! No more porridge for me ;)
The metformin was bringing my bloods down to 7-10 range but since Christmas, it's anything from 16 to 8, and it's not following a pattern, as in it could be 12-3 before dinner and 9 after. Very strange