SD Codefree meter readins

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
am pretty sure that I have read on the forums that the SD Codefree measures a couple of points higher than other meters. Is this right? My readings are consistently a couple of points higher than in the past. Probably I'm kidding myself but I don't know what else would be doing this as I have been good with my eating. That said, I was well off the wagon for the last six months so not too sure.

I tried to get a word with the db nurse at my surgery about my double figures but she never got back to me and
it is difficult to get an appointment.

Thanks in advance folks.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've also heard that the Codefree reads high, but have no way to verify this. I guess you could try using a second meter and comparing, but in reality how would you know which was more accurate? All meters have a small margin for error.

Personally, I think for type 2s not on insulin, sticking to 1 meter and looking for general trends works well. And if you aren't happy with the numbers, look for ways to reduce them.

How often are you testing, and what numbers are you seeing - particularly after meals?

As it happens I use the Codefree and am happy with it. I hadn't been using it for long enough to compare the average readings to my last HbA1c, but I will be able to do a comparison when I have my next test in early June, so will be interested to see the results.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for that. I shall have a week of writing everything down that I eat and noting the pre-meal and 2 hr post-meal numbers.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tested the SD meter against fluids of known sugar content and the one I tested did read high. It gets progressively higher as the sugar level increases. At low levels it is about one point high (One mmol). Higher levels such as 16.7 in the test resulted in a 23.5 according to the SD meter.

I once tested one that actually read low but until I can find out what happened I will treat that as an aberration.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it reads higher that the Accu Chek Mobile, but not by enough to be significant. Maybe up to half a mmol/l on average. Some tubs of strips are better than others.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

lindisfel

Expert
Hi squire, PSE was that a bought calibration fluid or did you make it up yourself? Thanks Derek.
I have tested the SD meter against fluids of known sugar content and the one I tested did read high. It gets progressively higher as the sugar level increases. At low levels it is about one point high (One mmol). Higher levels such as 16.7 in the test resulted in a 23.5 according to the SD meter.

I once tested one that actually read low but until I can find out what happened I will treat that as an aberration.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi squire, PSE was that a bought calibration fluid or did you make it up yourself? Thanks Derek.
It was a calibration fluid from Abbott. There is a misconception that since a test of a test strip can provide such a wide range of numbers the calibration fluid is a factor. In truth the fluid is very precise and all the available tolerance is there for the purposes of test strip inaccuracy. There are sums to be done but .....

Low Abbott fluid should return a reading of 2.8 and
High Abbott fluid should return a reading of 16.7

The fluids are an 0.05% and a 0.3% solution of Dextrose.