Secondary diabetes

Melginty13

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I was at my endo clinic a couple weeks ago and I’ve been going there almost 10 years . I was recently told I have secondary diabetes, is this closer to type one or 2 . I was also told I defo don’t have type 2 and that they don’t think I have type one but I’m struggling to find any information really on secondary diabetes. I think it may have something to do with my previous use in steroids when on cancer treatment and then having hypothyroidism (born without a thyroid) . Is anyone else in a similar situation to me ?
Thanks

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34 and filly

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Melginty13 hi. There are several members on here who have steroid acquired 'diabetes' I did respond to someone recently but I can't remember the member's name. I know that's not much use to you, but it's definitely a thing. I have heard the term 'secondary' referring to some other underlying cause in other words a health condition or a medication that brings on another condition, in your case diabetes. So Secondary diabetes would not be associated with diabetes mellitus but acquired diabetes through a medication or health condition. Diabetes Mellitus refers to both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, which would mean you don't have either.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:

Melginty13

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
@Melginty13 hi. There are several members on here who have steroid acquired 'diabetes' I did respond to someone recently but I can't remember the member's name. I know that's not much use to you, but it's definitely a thing. I have heard the term 'secondary' referring to some other underlying cause in other words a health condition or a medication that brings on another condition, in your case diabetes. So Secondary diabetes would not be associated with diabetes mellitus but acquired diabetes through a medication or health condition. Diabetes Mellitus refers to both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, which would mean you don't have either.

Edited for clarity.
Heya thanks for your reply, it’s so tough to find any information on secondary diabetes. I was originally diagnosed 9 years ago (15 ) with type 2 diabetes but upon further testing they figured I’m definitely not type 2 but they also say they won’t rule out type one which is confusing. My diabetes definitely stems from my cancer treatment that I had as a child but I was also born without a thyroid gland so apparently that can be apart of it aswell . I’m currently struggling with insulin resistance and on two different insulin’s one being fast acting novo rapid and the other xultophy . I asked my endo for an insulin pump but was refused based on the fact I’m not a type one which is frustrating but I understand and there’s people that need it a lot more then I do . But yeah I guess this post is just to see if anyone else is in the same boat as me as it can feel like you’re on your own when you don’t see many people with your condition. I have seen online however that secondary diabetes is similar to type one but they aren’t the same for obvious reasons. Thanks again for your reply ☺️

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But yeah I guess this post is just to see if anyone else is in the same boat as me as it can feel like you’re on your own when you don’t see many people with your condition. I have seen online however that secondary diabetes is similar to type one but they aren’t the same for obvious reasons. Thanks again for your reply
@Melginty13 it was @Lexilulu who started a discussion on Steroid induced diabetes. I just did a search which is in the top right hand corner of the page. I used 'steroid' as my search criteria. I hope that helps.
Thanks again for your reply.
You are very welcome :)

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The forum also has a section on Secondary Diabetes under 'Types of Diabetes'. Also there are a number of medical research papers if you google them. I am sure you have done this already. Here is a short abstract from one. It's brief but informative, not too dense a read as to be impenetrable.