Type 1 Sensor issues due to heat?

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, I am quite baffled by what I have experienced today.

I have been using the Libre Sensor 2 for a while now and whilst i’ve had a couple of issues, it’s mostly non problematic.

Today, I applied a new sensor and I was quite shocked after about an hour and a half it fell off! Now I thought that it was perhaps a dodgy sensor, I reported the issue to the company and luckily I had my second sensor at hand.

Well I applied that and within ten minutes it also dropped off me! I am quite frustrated by this point. I get my prescriptions free, but I can’t help but feel awful about wasting them. I have no idea why this has happened!

I alternated arms but both failed to attach seemingly? I am wondering if this could be related to the Heatwave as in the UK the temperature is in the high 30’s today, though I do not feel as though I’ve been sweating excessively and I did the usual wipe and clean / dry prep before applying the sensor.

Really I just wanted to see if anyone else has had these issues, does this sound like an issue with the batch of sensors, or is it me?! I’m quite worried about applying my next sensor. Luckily I’ve found some glucose testing strips until I can get another sensor.

Just wondering if anyone knows what’s happened here! Ty in advance. X

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could be the heat or a dodgy batch of sensors. I'd have thought they would have stayed on longer than 10 minutes if it was the heat though! Maybe put a patch over your next one to ensure it stays on, or try applying Skin tac prior to applying the sensor, which makes yours arms sticky

I had 2 in a row fall off prior to the one I'm now wearing. Usually they stick like a limpet, without anything over them (I seem to react to any over patch, and don't normally wear one), which I think were faulty.

Reactions: samowen268

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I go to the sauna virtually every day for between 20 and 30 minutes where the temperature is significantly higher than the heat wave. It has never fallen off my arm for heat reasons, and I am now on sensor 84. What does happen, it stops working until I am in a cooler environment.

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It could be the heat or a dodgy batch of sensors. I'd have thought they would have stayed on longer than 10 minutes if it was the heat though! Maybe put a patch over your next one to ensure it stays on, or try applying Skin tac prior to applying the sensor, which makes yours arms sticky

I had 2 in a row fall off prior to the one I'm now wearing. Usually they stick like a limpet, without anything over them (I seem to react to any over patch, and don't normally wear one), which I think were faulty.

will try this, ty

Reactions: Hopeful34

JenJen9

Hi guys, I am quite baffled by what I have experienced today.

I have been using the Libre Sensor 2 for a while now and whilst i’ve had a couple of issues, it’s mostly non problematic.

Today, I applied a new sensor and I was quite shocked after about an hour and a half it fell off! Now I thought that it was perhaps a dodgy sensor, I reported the issue to the company and luckily I had my second sensor at hand.

Well I applied that and within ten minutes it also dropped off me! I am quite frustrated by this point. I get my prescriptions free, but I can’t help but feel awful about wasting them. I have no idea why this has happened!

I alternated arms but both failed to attach seemingly? I am wondering if this could be related to the Heatwave as in the UK the temperature is in the high 30’s today, though I do not feel as though I’ve been sweating excessively and I did the usual wipe and clean / dry prep before applying the sensor.

Really I just wanted to see if anyone else has had these issues, does this sound like an issue with the batch of sensors, or is it me?! I’m quite worried about applying my next sensor. Luckily I’ve found some glucose testing strips until I can get another sensor.

Just wondering if anyone knows what’s happened here! Ty in advance. X

I had this happen to me the other day, the heat makes the glue on the sensor to stay sofa, try applying a patch over the top (easy to find on amazon, i use them every time) and contact libra and they will ask you a few questions for quality control and send you a new one, you just need the number on the side of the sensor/ app :)

JenJen9

This is what i use, they’re like a second skin over them, can get a little dirty around the edges but i change mine weekly

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Well in the past 4 days I’ve contacted Abbot 3 times had one new sensor not read after 60 minutes and two drop off , was told that heat does affect it , have to say service received excellent , and no probs getting new ones . In fact I’ve never had any problems trying to get replacement sensors . It with current temperatures affecting everything from railways to roads I’m not surprise Some adhesives are struggling