Sensors - Libre sensor 2 and Guardian sensor 4

sona chandi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good day folks

I recently started using Guardian sensor 4 for my Medtronic insulin pump 780g. I am immensely grateful to our NHS for supporting diabetics.

Previously I was using Libre sensors 2.

As my current sensor ends this week I decided to keep it on.

However, I've noticed interesting patterns on readings between the two sensors. In the past 48 hours alarm has sounded on the Libre sensor of hypo warning. Yet the Guardian sensor gave normal reading.

This morning the readings taken at 06:35am on the Libre sensor reads at 5.2 mmol and the Guardian sensor (06.36am) reads 6.8 mmol.

Libre sensor 2.jpg
Guardian sensor 4 MiniMed Mobile.jpg
Has anyone on this forum experienced such differences when moving from one sensor to the other!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @sona chandi
Interested in your thread because I'm currently choosing between medtronig 780 (guardian 4) and tandem tslim x2 (dexcom g6).

My experience of sensors (libre and dexcom) is that they can be unreliable, particularly when out of the 4-10 range, and I'd want to check via a glucometer.

eg my dexcom tends to read low for the first 24 hours because my body reacts to the sensor. I had to stop using libre 1 because my body reacted really badly to the sensor.

Have no idea about the guardian G4 but my recommendation would be to check with a glucometer...

Good lcuk

Reactions: sona chandi

sona chandi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @sona chandi
Interested in your thread because I'm currently choosing between medtronig 780 (guardian 4) and tandem tslim x2 (dexcom g6).

My experience of sensors (libre and dexcom) is that they can be unreliable, particularly when out of the 4-10 range, and I'd want to check via a glucometer.

eg my dexcom tends to read low for the first 24 hours because my body reacts to the sensor. I had to stop using libre 1 because my body reacted really badly to the sensor.

Have no idea about the guardian G4 but my recommendation would be to check with a glucometer...

Good lcuk
Thank you @EllieM

• Friendly
Reactions: EllieM

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is not possible to draw any conclusions unless these readings were checked with a finger prick.
For example, the alarm in the middle of the night from the Libre could have been a compression low.

Does the Guardian G4 allow you to calibrate it? My biggest bugbear with the Libre is that it cannot be calibrated which is the main reason why I used unofficial apps that are able to take into consideration my body's variation from the "factory man" they use for calibration.

Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @sona chandi ,

One thought comes to mind. (Check with meter. On accuracy.)

Where is your G4 & the L2 sited?

Tonto73

The CGMs are a great advance, I’ve used both. The Libre still requires you to swipe with the phone. Dexcom sends to your phone all the time.

Currently if most areas you need to pay for a G6 but can get a basic CGM on the NHS. I have used the Tandem TSlim and Dexcom for years. It’s much more compact than the Medtronic. Dexcom has good accuracy results (in clinical papers).

Pump manufacturers are generally working towards a common Bluetooth standard ( you can find it on the Bluetooth SIG site). Tandem let’s you update the pump at home over a USB cable and internet connection.

You don’t need to calibrate a G4, you can if you choose but it’s not needed.