Seriously? (Low Carb Advice)

Dancing Badger

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Screenshot of diet advice from the other site. Maybe it's just my interpretation, but it appears to be saying low carb as a means of reducing BG is an option only and not necessary for long term control. If I had read this in isolation and not bothered to DMOR, I'd probably still be "healthily" eating my way to a probable lifetime of complications and medication.

Attachments

• IMG_2757.jpeg
    IMG_2757.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 119

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Yes, it does say that. The main site is still only half-hearted about Low Carb.
Reasons for this include donations from Tesco (who make more money by selling ultra-processed food) and that the Diabetes.org.uk charity sponsored the DIRECT studies which Prof. Roy Taylor conducted (from which the mainly shakes based 'Newcastle diet' came).

Their attached Forum, however, has a fairly similar mix to the one here. Partly because I and others from here have been posting there for 4 yrs or more and our T2 Diabetes Remission journeys have been accepted and duplicated.

Strictly speaking they are correct that long term Low Carb (as practised by me) probably isn't needed. There are other ways of keeping Carbs and weight down! Instead you can have bariatric surgery (though some find ways to cheat that and lose the benefit); you can do successive periodic Ultra Low Calories diets (Newcastle on and off for the rest of your life); you can do serious Fasting - not time Restricted Eating, I mean fasting for days at a time.

But unless you keep both weight and carbs lower than before you developed T2D you will have to keep repeating whatever you used.

I know of 2 members of the other forum who claim T2D cure - not remission since they say that their insulin resistance has gone. In both cases they credit DIRECT, but although they claim to be able to eat 'normally' they are eating a modified version of 'EatWell' - not the way they did before being diagnosed with T2.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I feel I may not have gone into enough detail about T2D cure versus remission.
My personal opinion is that there is no such thing as T2D 'cure' (at least for those of us who were pre-diabetic for years).
I'm extremely grateful that I came across this forum and some of its members when I did and that I didn't just 'wing it' or follow a book on controlling T2D.
I was told that we aren't all the same and was told how to determine my personal carb limits.

Had I gone to the other forum I may have ruined my metabolism through repeatedly failing at T2D control by starvation diets, each one lowering my resting metabolic rate and so making the next even more impossible!

My opinion of those claims of 'cure' is that they are playing a variant of the 'punk' in the Dirty Harry movie when Clint Eastwood admits he doesn't know how many rounds he fired out of his gun. The question he asks is 'Do you feel lucky?'

I feel no need to find out if I'm 'lucky' i.e. 'cured' or not because I enjoy eating the Low Carb, TRE way that I do. It doesn't bother me when those around me eat sweet, carby, UPF that I don't. So why test how much I can tolerate of stuff that's not good for me?

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the approach from Diabetes UK (I do not think of it as “the other site” but as the charity that funds research and supports people with diabetes) is nicely summed up by this comment which is at the top of every page of their forum (not hidden away in ”rules”):
”Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions about diabetes. Everyone manages their health differently. Please be mindful of this.”

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Everyone manages their diabetes differently, My T2 friend got into remission without doing mega low carb, she managed to get off insulin and diet only following a similar diet to the eat well plate, and Diabetes UK does some amazing research into diabetes especially T1 and even more so for children with T1

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Screenshot of diet advice from the other site. Maybe it's just my interpretation, but it appears to be saying low carb as a means of reducing BG is an option only and not necessary for long term control. If I had read this in isolation and not bothered to DMOR, I'd probably still be "healthily" eating my way to a probable lifetime of complications and medication.
I don't get it - at the start of the attachment it says "false" and there's a box with a square in it. Then, the first sentence says "the amount of carbs you eat has an immediate effect on blood glucose levels". So are they saying carbs have an immediate effect, or not?

Jo123

I was not impressed with diabetes UK at all. When I was first diagnosed as pre diabetic as a slim, fit woman I rang their helpline. The person told me it was inevitable I would develop full blown type 2 diabetes and that there was nothing I could do to stop it.
Thank god I found this site and have had non diabetic readings, most recent 33, since 2009. I don't do keto, just low carb.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was not impressed with diabetes UK at all. When I was first diagnosed as pre diabetic as a slim, fit woman I rang their helpline. The person told me it was inevitable I would develop full blown type 2 diabetes and that there was nothing I could do to stop it.
Thank god I found this site and have had non diabetic readings, most recent 33, since 2009. I don't do keto, just low carb.
I do not think it is fair to judge the Diabetes UK of today on the Diabetes UK of 2009.
I was a different person 15 years ago, science has discovered more since 2009, ...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It promotes unachievable management for me, with my insulin regime.. (if I was to roll with the T1 advice.)

I feel undermined when I press my nose to the “shop window.”

Last edited:

Jo123

I do not think it is fair to judge the Diabetes UK of today on the Diabetes UK of 2009.
I was a different person 15 years ago, science has discovered more since 2009, ...
But low carb was a thing in 2009, and not everyone who has pre diabetes goes on to develop diabetes, that it a fact. It was a real blow to me at the time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But low carb was a thing in 2009, and not everyone who has pre diabetes goes on to develop diabetes, that it a fact. It was a real blow to me at the time.
Pre-diabetes is pre diabetes. (Sorry, edit. I empathise with the ramifications of carbs..)

2009? I still don’t have access to tech for T1s that boast “just match the insulin to the carbs consumed…”
I also can’t afford to mess things up during a day’s graft.. (or my personal busy schedule.)

The language used by those with this access can be demoralising…