Set allergies

PumpedSarah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I just wondered if anyone else has experienced allergies to their sets? I'm allergic to the adhesive so I use IV4000. I'm allergic to Teflon, so I've been advised to use a needle set, but now it appears I'm also allergic to the nickel coating on them.
I don't want to stop pumping, but I'm in so much pain, I'm desperate for another solution. Thanks

jackiebee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just wondered if anyone else has experienced allergies to their sets? I'm allergic to the adhesive so I use IV4000. I'm allergic to Teflon, so I've been advised to use a needle set, but now it appears I'm also allergic to the nickel coating on them.
I don't want to stop pumping, but I'm in so much pain, I'm desperate for another solution. Thanks

jackiebee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I used to be the same getting red itchy areas where i had inserted the infusion sets but i mentioned it to the pump rep and she suggested using cavilon spray which i got from the gp. A letter from my dsn explaining why i needed it helped with this. It has really made a difference for me. Out of interest what is iv4000? Hope you get sorted with this soon.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I have used cavilon spray almost from the start of pumping.:)
The adhesive irritates my skin as well.

i had a bit of a read online and found this , copied and pasted , which might be of interest to try and get to the cause

"" my Endo & allergist said the rash is caused by yeast cells reacting to the adhesive on the infusion set on your body. They suggested that I use a betadine wash prior to attaching the infusion set, and always wash your hands prior to inserting.
I have used this method for 6-months now and no more rash.
Your best bet is to see your Endo or GP, have them take a skin scraping to verify the presence of yeast cells.
Remember you are one big sugar cube to yeast as my Endo says ""

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to have an allergy to the set adhesive and thought it was just because I had sensitive skin. I used to get red marks that itched horribly and looked awful.

Then - nothing to do with the allergy - I swapped to using my legs and the allergy reduced enormously. I'll occasionally get a reaction now but it's literally two to four times a year, and is much milder.

May be worth trying a different body area if you haven't already?

PumpedSarah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I used to be the same getting red itchy areas where i had inserted the infusion sets but i mentioned it to the pump rep and she suggested using cavilon spray which i got from the gp. A letter from my dsn explaining why i needed it helped with this. It has really made a difference for me. Out of interest what is iv4000? Hope you get sorted with this soon.
Cavilon was the first thing I tried, but it didn't help at all. The IV4000 patches are like clear plasters that they use for central lines etc

PumpedSarah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I used to have an allergy to the set adhesive and thought it was just because I had sensitive skin. I used to get red marks that itched horribly and looked awful.

Then - nothing to do with the allergy - I swapped to using my legs and the allergy reduced enormously. I'll occasionally get a reaction now but it's literally two to four times a year, and is much milder.

May be worth trying a different body area if you haven't already?
My arms are much better than my belly, but my DSN said that was impossible! Thanks

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have used cavilon spray almost from the start of pumping.:)
The adhesive irritates my skin as well.

i had a bit of a read online and found this , copied and pasted , which might be of interest to try and get to the cause

"" my Endo & allergist said the rash is caused by yeast cells reacting to the adhesive on the infusion set on your body. They suggested that I use a betadine wash prior to attaching the infusion set, and always wash your hands prior to inserting.
I have used this method for 6-months now and no more rash.
Your best bet is to see your Endo or GP, have them take a skin scraping to verify the presence of yeast cells.
Remember you are one big sugar cube to yeast as my Endo says ""

Thats very interesting, thanks, maybe some hope for me as one irritated patch is now growing outwards and is over 2 ins diameter, i have just been prescribed Daktarin by GP, no answer from DSNs yet. Will now wait to see GP again, using Neem oil while wait.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
My arms are much better than my belly, but my DSN said that was impossible! Thanks
arms are my best places so far-- haven't tried bum yet though :eek: