Share your cycling experiences/opinions

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
So this I where you can share your opinions of anything to with cycling.

Also when I was cycling home a bus did something stupid it kept on honking as in you should go forward but I was giving way to cars as when your at a junction there was a car about to indicate left and it didn't give way to me.
. Kinda stupid. Thinking of complaining to the bus company as it was pretty stupid plus he could of just waited a second before hand as his bus stop was just behind me. ( When I looked back it looked like he was going to get closer if I didn't hurry up. But if I went when the car pulled out (The same time the bus honked) and I could of been in an accident.

Honking just seems like a threat to me.

So have any of your guys had bad cycling experiences?

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I passed my cycling proficiency test aged 8 at junior school and got my pin badge

The test was done by the local village Bobby

Nowadays I don't cycle as the chauffeur drives me around in the Rolls Royce

If I were you I'd complain to the bus company and tell them that the honking bus unsettled you

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes bus drivers round my way give a friendly "toot" as acknowledgement to fellow bus drivers on route. Or "off duty" drivers in their cars.. It's a "thing." ;)

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sometimes bus drivers round my way give a friendly "toot" as acknowledgement to fellow bus drivers on route. Or "off duty" drivers in their cars.. It's a "thing." ;)
Really? and I've only seen bus drivers doing it at buses going the opposite way to them and there were no buses in the other lane at the time.

I passed my cycling proficiency test aged 8 at junior school and got my pin badge

The test was done by the local village Bobby

Nowadays I don't cycle as the chauffeur drives me around in the Rolls Royce

If I were you I'd complain to the bus company and tell them that the honking bus unsettled you

Ok I did a bike safety course back at primary when I lived overseas.
You should cycle sometimes :p (Sounds like your a bit lazy :p)

I did email them but they haven't replied

C

chris lowe

Really? and I've only seen bus drivers doing it at buses going the opposite way to them and there were no buses in the other lane at the time.

Excuse me? How dare you assume that just because someone doesn't cycle or do certain exercises they are lazy. Perhaps you could tell me what you base your statement on? Do you know anything about @Cumberland medical history, or any health problems he may have? It's a bit like me saying that you should give up cycling as from your previous posts you sound like a liability on the bike. Always assuming you are in the right & accusing other road users of not knowing what they're doing.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hence my "off duty" colleegue comment, about BDs spotting them out in their private cars..
I've also known bus drivers "pap" & wave postmen & road sweepers they know too? &even visa versa..

It's a thing! :cool:

investigations like this can take a little time..
Just give the bus company a chance to review any "dash cam" footage of the incident.. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sable_Jan

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Excuse me? How dare you assume that just because someone doesn't cycle or do certain exercises they are lazy. Perhaps you could tell me what you base your statement on? Do you know anything about @Cumberland medical history, or any health problems he may have? It's a bit like me saying that you should give up cycling as from your previous posts you sound like a liability on the bike. Always assuming you are in the right & accusing other road users of not knowing what they're doing.
I was only joking and I don't sound liability. (I don't always assume in the right)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Erm young lady
I'm 54 years old and not in my youth anymore

I have until the last 10 years played and done lots of sports and activities

I played tennis (and still do even if it is only once or twice a year) played Squash, Badminton, Football, Walked and CYCLED all over the Lake District (which is on my doorstep I am a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do and have also tried Ju-Jit-Su

I hold down a busy full time job working **** hard in a hospital
And over the years I have gradually become less and less active for a variety of reasons, am I happy about that NO!!

I have Type 1 Diabetes ,Chronic Kidney Disease, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, GORD (google that) and NASH (google that one too)

I have Retinopathy in my eyes and Neuropathy in my feet

So I don't do a lot of exercise now because I'm not in the best of health or in my youth anymore

So kindly shut your insensitive gob and act like an adult and you can start doing that by way of an apology thank you

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Cumberland . Slightly off topic, not sure I'd want to get involved in this thread, read the recent posts and it seems a bit tetchy:).
But I did want to say thank you for taking me back many years to the cycling proficiency test. Memories came flooding back of junior school, a cul de sac and if I'm right a small triangular pin badge.
Oh how the world seemed easier then.:):):)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Cumberland . Slightly off topic, not sure I'd want to get involved in this thread, read the recent posts and it seems a bit tetchy:).
But I did want to say thank you for taking me back many years to the cycling proficiency test. Memories came flooding back of junior school, a cul de sac and if I'm right a small triangular pin badge.

Hello @therower

Yes a red and green triangular cycling proficiency badge I've still got mine pinned to a jacket

Will hunt it out and post a pic

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Here it is

8ffab27832ae46cde232e7f1f158fb33.jpg

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's the very one. I'm even more impressed you've still got it. Sadly you're not getting another top banana though.:)

It's on one of my jackets with about 30 odd pin badges mainly of Carlisle United
We did get a certificate too but I can't find that lol

Top banana once today is good enough for me thanks

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I did one of those at primary school too but they were down to paper certificates, not pins, when I took mine.

Yeah we got a certificate too

I remember pedalling around doing the test with the village Bobby ( quite strict) looking on and taking notes

Oh crikey such happy times

No computers no mobile phones

Playing outside with much less traffic and where I grew up it was blissfully quiet

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah we got a certificate too

I remember pedalling around doing the test with the village Bobby ( quite strict) looking on and taking notes

Oh crikey such happy times

No computers no mobile phones

Playing outside with much less traffic and where I grew up it was blissfully quiet
I did mine in a village cul de sac outside the school leading to the playing field.

..it's a housing estate now.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hence my "off duty" colleegue comment, about BDs spotting them out in their private cars..
I've also known bus drivers "pap" & wave postmen & road sweepers they know too? &even visa versa..

It's a thing! :cool:

investigations like this can take a little time..
Just give the bus company a chance to review any "dash cam" footage of the incident.. ;)
I did email them and they replied today well that was quick.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here it is

8ffab27832ae46cde232e7f1f158fb33.jpg

@db89 , my old village fields are estates now.! (Recently, they built more houses on the expansive greens in the "new" estates back in the day.?)

I remember the days when the local copper would stop you in the twighlight & ask to see your lights...

Wow! I got memories of these pins.. I'm little younger than you @Cumberland . Though I always thought you were younger than me?
Speaking of a full day's graft. I find the "banter" from some of the "yoof" at my place of work fascinating.
These "young 'uns" don't realise the actual mileage we've done. In some ways, I find it quite flattering... ;)