Type 1 Sharps on holiday

suzipuze_

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
We are off on holiday soon for the first time since diabetes - what does everyone do with their sharps whilst away? Do you take them all back home with you?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are off on holiday soon for the first time since diabetes - what does everyone do with their sharps whilst away? Do you take them all back home with you?
I don't think I would like to leave them there if I couldn't identify a disposal service. I think I would take a yellow box with me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You could take a tupperware box with you, that's what I did, but that was two decades ago.
You could also also google your question. Good luck and happy hols :)

Reactions: GrantGam
D

Deleted Account

I never leave my sharps behind.
On the other hand, I don't take a formal yellow sharps box with me.

I find a small water bottle (often bought at the airport on the way out) is the perfect size for sharps and I decant them into my yellow bin when I get home ... another post-holiday chore whilst I watching my dirty clothes go round and round in the washing machine.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take an empty multivitamin container when I travel to work (away for a fortnight each time). It's always in my bag, fill it up with needles and then tip into into my yellow sharps bin when I get home.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are yellow boxes international? Can you get them disposed of in another country or wouldn't they know what to do with them? Tupperware boxes and bottles are fine unless it gets left behind and the finder doesn't know what it is.

suzipuze_

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all! I was planning on the tupperware box so will go with that :) Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
An old test strip container (or two) would suffice, you would just need to bring them home and transfer to your sharps bin.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Get a needle clipper they're great, you just clip the end off your needle and throw contents in the bin no need for one of them yellow boxes!

Reactions: suzipuze_

suzipuze_

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooh thanks @Sarah69! My daughter is on a pump so it's the big cannula insertion mio things that take up the room - but the clipping thing would definitely resolve that!

D

Deleted Account

Get a needle clipper they're great, you just clip the end off your needle and throw contents in the bin no need for one of them yellow boxes!
I don't get the needle clipper. My needles had the pointy bit which went into me (which clipped nicely) and a pointy bit which went into the pen and could not be clipped but was still dangerous. And the clipper was not strong enough to clip lancets.
They definitely are not long enough to clip the pointy part of my cannula inserter ... unless you clip it in multiple chunks.