Shingles

_becs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
A colleague has developed shingles. I haven't had chicken pox before and have type 1 diabetes. Does it mean I could be at a higher risk of getting chicken pox should they still work or no higher risk than anyone else who hasn't had it? Do diabetics really have a lowered immune system or is it myth? Although it cannot be helped, I'm just worried as I cannot afford to be off work should I catch it.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, you need to have direct contact with one of the blisters, or the fluids from them to contract chicken pox from someone with shingles, so it's not a big risk especially if you avoid sharing towels or playing contact sports with the affected person.

Check with 111 or your doctor if you're worried.

Reactions: _becs

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A colleague has developed shingles. I haven't had chicken pox before and have type 1 diabetes. Does it mean I could be at a higher risk of getting chicken pox should they still work or no higher risk than anyone else who hasn't had it?

Is shingles contagious?

It's not possible to catch shingles from someone with the condition or from someone with chickenpox. However, you can catch chickenpox from someone with shingles if you haven't had chickenpox before.

The blisters that form contain live virus. If a person who has never had chickenpox makes direct contact with an open blister or something with the fluid on it, they can contract the virus and develop chickenpox.

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/shingles

Do diabetics really have a lowered immune system or is it myth?

It is said we do, but I'd imagine a lot will depend on your diabetes control and whether you have other on-going health issues, I've lived with type 1 for 35 years and don't get ill any more than the next person.