Should I be worried!?

Lolli24

So I am now 22 weeks pregnant and ive noticed that I now need less insulin than in my first trimester. I'm worried as I thought I would need more and have read that it can be a sign of placenta failing :( BUT for a few weeks now I have gone from taking 2 metformin (1 at breakfast and 1 at bed) but have now added a third tablet at lunch on the advice of my consultant and diabetic nurse. Do you think this is the reason im low all the time or something I should worry about? Thanks x

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey lolli ,

I haven't got any advice about the metformin as have never been on it so I'm clueless , I'm now 25 weeks and since roughly 3 weeks ago , everything started to drop , and I've had to lower all my ratios which I also thought was strange , my diabetic team know I have done this and nothing has been said and said its quiet normal I might just have to watch my background to hit the hour after targets but as we speak I'm still in target , I haven't done any reading up on things as don't want to worry myself silly , I'm sure if it wasn't right my diabetic team would of raised their concerns .
Why don't you ask your team they might be able to advise you and explain ?
But this has happened to me take care x

Lolli24

Thanks. That's made me feel a little better. I will ask if it's the metformin when I next see my consultant. I have heard of people requirements dropping instead of raising in 2nd trimester so I'm hoping it's just that. I'm pleased as my levels have been great and always on target but a little concerned still too x

Reactions: 3 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad it's helped you a little bit , I know the feeling because I thought it was strange and I really thought it would rise , mind you still got plenty of time for it too start rising if it wishes too lol .
It is so worrying isn't I think if the bms would be rising it would still be a worry as you'd be worried of them being high .
I really don't think we're going to win with pregnancy , but for now it sounds so fab that your bms are in target. :) X

jhinkson1

This happened to me too. I think it's very common towards the later stages of pregnancy. I was worried it was to do with the placenta failing but the consultant didn't seem worried. I now have a healthy 4 month old so there was no need to worry.